Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Adding A Router As A Switch Onto A Network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_slehmann36_*

Guest_slehmann36_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:27 AM

Hi 

I have added a second router to my modem/router to expand the network and am having some trouble accessing any devices connected to the second router from any devces connected to the modem/router. 

I have checked that:

the IP Address of the second router id different to the modem/router's IP Address,

DHCP is turned off on the second router,

DNS is turned off on the second router,

firewall is turned off on the second router,

all port triggering/forwarding entries are removed

the "operating mode" is set to gateway not router,

What am i doing wrong???

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance

Simon Lehmann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

I don't know what kind of router you are using. I'm assuming you followed these directions: http://www.ehow.com/how_2308635_use-router-switch.html It's possible your brand of router may not work using this configuration.

Do the IP addresses on the devices connected to the second router show IP addresses beginning with 169.254.xxx.xxx? That would indicate the second router is not communicating with the first, and all the devices are getting auto-generated IP addresses because they can't find the DHCP server on the first router.

Is the IP address of the second router in the same network as the first router? You say the IP addresses are different on the two routers, but they still share the same IP network or they won't be able to communicate.

And you say you are trying to access devices connected to the second router from devices connected to the main router. What kind of access? Are you trying to remote in? Are you trying to share files? (Make sure file sharing is enabled).

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Hi 
I have added a second router to my modem/router to expand the network and am having some trouble accessing any devices connected to the second router from any devces connected to the modem/router. 

I have checked that:
the IP Address of the second router id different to the modem/router's IP Address,
DHCP is turned off on the second router,
DNS is turned off on the second router,
firewall is turned off on the second router,
all port triggering/forwarding entries are removed
the "operating mode" is set to gateway not router,

What am i doing wrong???

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance

Simon Lehmann

Have you tried plugging the ethernet cable coming from the first router into on of the LAN ports instead of the WAN port on the second router?

#4 alltelltech

alltelltech

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Yes cat5 needs to go from router 1 Lan port to router 2 Lan port , lets say if router 1 has a ip of 192.168.1.1 and has a ip pool or 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200 then you need to assing a ip to router 2 some ware out side of the ip pool like 192.168.1.2, then disable DHCP on router 2 and you should be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users