Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Pro - Very Slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bintyre

bintyre

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:18 PM

IBM laptop with Win XP Pro SP2 192 MB ram 800 mghz

Computer is free of virus and malware, ran scandisk, defrag etc. Have taken all unnecessary programs out of the start menu, turned off all automatic updating, etc. And yet sometimes there seems to be something running in the background and it takes 10 minutes before it stops! Can't figure out what it is. Indexing? Any ideas? Very puzzling!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:33 PM

I would run Hijackthis and send in the log file for observation in the following forum

HijackThis Logs and Analysis
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Sorry but I think that finding out if you are free of infestation is first on the list.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:59 PM

IBM laptop with Win XP Pro SP2 192 MB ram 800 mghz

Computer is free of virus and malware, ran scandisk, defrag etc. Have taken all unnecessary programs out of the start menu, turned off all automatic updating, etc. And yet sometimes there seems to be something running in the background and it takes 10 minutes before it stops! Can't figure out what it is. Indexing? Any ideas? Very puzzling!

Thanks.

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional (according to Microsoft at this link)
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

With only 192 MB of RAM any thing else running will slow you down. Yes I agree you should make sure you do not have anything malicious on your machine. But you are on the very edge for any type of speed with only 192 MB. I would say a clean defragged machine and a minimum of 512 MB of RAM and you should be alright.

Be (Sufficient RAM) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:10 AM

Quote from last post

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional (according to Microsoft at this link)
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

With only 192 MB of RAM any thing else running will slow you down. Yes I agree you should make sure you do not have anything malicious on your machine. But you are on the very edge for any type of speed with only 192 MB. I would say a clean defragged machine and a minimum of 512 MB of RAM and you should be alright.

Hello Animal, the member has 192 Mb and Microsoft says 128 Mb of Ram. SIr 192 MB is larger than 128 Mb by 64Mb and there fore wqill run the system faster. I think I have my Math correct.

I still say run HiJack This and send the log file in.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:36 AM

The minimum RAM requirement is not sufficient to run anything but the most basic aps and XP, especially if the system has onboard video which shares RAM.

512megs is really the smallest amount which will run XP smoothly.

You probably have malware or virus scans running in the background or it could even be Windows system maintenance processes.

Try increasing the size of your page file.

Read the following:
Virtual Memory in Windows XP
by Alex Nichol
(MS-MVP - Windows Storage Management/File Systems)
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

Edited by Enthusiast, 16 April 2006 - 10:47 AM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:53 PM

Quote from last post

Hello Animal, the member has 192 Mb and Microsoft says 128 Mb of Ram. SIr 192 MB is larger than 128 Mb by 64Mb and there fore wqill run the system faster. I think I have my Math correct.

I still say run HiJack This and send the log file in.

ThorXP,

If you had read my post that you quoted. You would have understood that what I was trying to state was that bintyre does not have a lot of extra ram to do anything else except run XP. The bintyre post was about the machine being slow. It is NOT always malware alone causing problems. I also agreed about making sure it was not malware. I did not contradict you. I was merely trying to state it may be more than just malware too. That once the malware was cleaned up, his/her machine may still not be all that fast without additional RAM.

Thank you ever so much for the math lesson too. Although that was not part of what I was trying to say. I again was only pointing out how much was required, and how close to the minimum they had in their machine for running anything else. And I was fully aware there was 64 MB available.

I would appreciate it in the future that you understand what I am trying to say to a member before you quote me, and infer that my information is flawed.

Be Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users