Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EA6300 Slowing download speeds

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CaptnNoodle

CaptnNoodle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

I have a EA6300 set up in my small duplex and it is crippling my download speeds.  

Ran a program called Network Logger for 24 Hours hard wired into modem, had an average 88.03Mbps Download and 19.1 Mbps.

Another 24 Hours wired into router 84.11Mbps down and 19Mbps up.  Awesome.

24 Hours on 2.4Ghz network roughly 30 feet from router 9Mbps down and 4.4Mbps up.

24 Hours on 5 Ghz network same place in house 11Mbps down and 997 kbps up (I would trim this upload, but its 24 hours with a 30 second refresh rate)

I have no cap on my usage, and I also pay for 70+ Mbps.  This wireless is killing my speed, what gives?  Linksys says they want to replace the router, but the **bleep** thing is brand new.  I have the router set up exactly as Linksys told me to, prioritization is disabled.

Iphone 5 gets a good 3.3 Mbps dl and 2 Mpbs ul on average on either one of them.

Other information (This is from inSSIDer)

5 Ghz 

RSSI -70  Channel 36 + 40  WPA2 Personal  Max Transfer Rate 450Mbps  

There is no (0) other traffic on the lower 5 Ghz freq

2.4 Ghz

RSSI -52  Channel 3  WPA2 Personal  Max Transfer Rate 130Mbps

There is a bit of traffic on the 2.4Ghz freq, but Channel 3 and 4 are not used (except by me)  Channel 7-11 are extremely clogged and Channel 1 has about 5 networks on it.

Also to note, on the 2.4 Ghz channel my PS3 gets 2-4Mbps down and 700kbps up in roughly the same place as the laptop.  If anyone has any ideas on how to speed this up that would be quite useful.

Note:  Up until about a week ago the only thing I knew about wifi was how to use the wizard when you get a new router.  I am catching up, but bear with me.

Macbook Pro

2.66 Ghz I7

8GB 1067 DDR3

OS X 10.7.5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

For the 2.4 GHz network, it could be an 802.11g device that is "bringing down" the network speed. Older, slower WiFi 802.11g only devices can slow down 802.11n networks to the "lowest common denominator", but if you have the 5Ghz network running on a separate SSID, then it should not be impacted if that is the case. So, I am not sure why the 5 GHz is so slow.

Just out of curiosity, do you have access to another computer to test things with? It could be an issue with the WiFi card in the MBP. Or it could be the router (brand new does not mean it is impossible for it to have potential prolems). The other test would be to take the MBP and use it on someone else's WiFi network as see if it gets faster speeds.

When you tested the wired connection, you said it was connected directly to the modem. Have you run the same test with it wired to the router instead of directly to the modem?

Also, have you tried just a plain old Speedtest.net "speed" test?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users