Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi Issues

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RachelWiz

RachelWiz

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

I apologize if this has been asked and answered.  I scrolled through and didn't see a topic, but I didn't do a thorough review.

Anyway, my problem is that my wifi adapter crashes.  Occasionally, it will just show that I'm not connected and when I click on the status bars to show available networks it will not respond.  I can right click and troubleshoot or open the network and sharing center, but nothing I do while in there will fix the problem.  Only a reboot of my machine will work.  I know that there is not an issue with the router or cable modem because it has done it to me at home and now again while visiting my parents (not to mention that other devices are not having issues, like my phone, kindle and netbook).

I have WIndows 8 on an HP 2000.  Any ideas?  I have another problem with this computer, but this is the most frustrating.  I may ask about that once I can get this resolved.

Thanks in advance,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

Hi

Hp 2000 is a series number. Please post the exact model number written on the bottom part of the laptop. For example 2201TU.

Also post a snapshot of your system using the free tool Speccy. Read the instructions from the below link and post the web link Speccy gives.

The very first step you should do is to uninstall the WiFi driver and install the latest one available from HP site. Speccy report will let us know which WiFi adapter is in your system.

#3 RachelWiz

RachelWiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for the response.  I'll get all that and post again.  

#4 RachelWiz

RachelWiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

OK, the model number is: 2000-2b20NR

And here's the Speccy URL

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Al6b0ekUHvKly51LzsyKuCh

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:24 AM

Hi

Please follow the below steps.

1 )Download Ralink WLAN driver from this link - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59501-60000/sp59525.exe

2 ) Open Control Panel -->Programs and features. Uninstall Ralink WLAN driver and restart. Now install the downloaded WiFi driver.

3 ) If the problem remains, please uninstall the AVG internet security for testing. Some times third party firewall programs can cause network related issues.

#6 RachelWiz

RachelWiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

Could AVG also cause the whole system to shut down/reboot while idle or asleep?

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hi

What exact type of crash you are experiencing ? (system power down , restarting or blue screen )

Antivirus programs uses a kernel mode driver which works in close with the low level executive of Windows. Even a small bug in the diver can cause the system to crash. that is why we recommend uninstalling third party AV programs and install Microsoft Security Essentials

You can uninstall AVG from Control Panel and -->Programs . After uninstall completes, run the official removal tool to clean any leftovers.

http://download.avg.com/filedir/util/avgrem/avg_remover_stf_x64_2013_3341.exe

You can download MSE from the below link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=5201

#8 RachelWiz

RachelWiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

This is what happens if I close my screen and my computer goes to sleep.

Untitled-1_zps2b80dbe2.jpg

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:40 AM

Hi

That means your system having trouble switching power states. It could be related to the WiFI issue you are having. Please follow the below steps.

- Update the WiFi driver 

- Remove AVG and install MSE instead.

- Update the system BIOS. The latest BIOS update addresses some power related issues. So make sure to install it.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp60501-61000/sp60940.exe

- Install optional updates specific to your system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61001-61500/sp61085.exe

If you are continue to receive the same error, check if there are any dump files in C:\Windows\Minidump folder. If yes, upload the dumps to a free file hosting site and post the download link to it along with minitoolbox result and Speccy report.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 22 June 2013 - 03:50 AM.

#10 RachelWiz

RachelWiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

Thanks so much for your help.  I'll try all that now.  I've already updated the WiFi adapter and still have the same issue, but have not yet uninstalled AVG.

#11 RachelWiz

RachelWiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

OK, updated the BIOS and tried to install MES, but got this message.  I guess I don't need it?

Untitled-1_zps12e0da9c.jpg

I'll see how things go with AVG gone.  Thanks again.

#12 RachelWiz

RachelWiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

Thank you again for your help!  I was able to close the computer last night and when I got up this morning, there were no issues!  And the WiFi hasn't crashed!

#13 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

Actually, RachelWiz, Windows 8 already incorporates Microsoft Security Essentials under the name Windows Defender. So, in this case, the error message for installing MSE means exactly what it says. Pretty rare when dealing with computers :devil:  AVG certainly isn't my first choice for AV protection, and I've found it to be both fairly buggy and ineffective. Well, the downside is that I don't much like Windows Defender either. Honestly, the best advice I could give you would be to download and register MalwareBytes AntiMalware for a onetime fee of $25, and then look at some alternative AV software. Avira and Avast! are good freeware, but I personally lean toward Eset's NOD32 and Kaspersky. Not free, but worth the money. For what it's worth, I run NOD32 on my six computers, and it's generally the solution I recommend to my corporate clients. 

Edited by slgrieb, 23 June 2013 - 03:11 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users