Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

typing stops (randomly)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 barbw5

barbw5

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

I have a Dell laptop. I can be typing merrily away, when the blinking cursor (which is usually immediately after the last character you've typed) disappears, and I find that what I am typing no longer appears on the screen. It isn't after any particular letter and seems totally random eg  sometimes it happens after 20 words, sometimes after 2 characters. I have to watch the screen the whole time, to see if what I'm typing is making it onto the screen. If not, I left click after the last character on the screen and can carry on emailing,writing a letter etc. It's very annoying. I have no idea what causes it. Can you help, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

I assume that your laptop has a trackpad of some description. Is it possible that you are inadvertently brushing this with your wrists or the base of one of your thumbs while you are typing ?

Just as a suggestion, plug in a mouse and disable / turn off your trackpad and see if the problem continues. I only use a laptop from time to time, but if I am going to do anything intensive on one I always switch the trackpad for a mouse. I too have had some strange things happening on a laptop until I worked out that my normal typing style kept me brushing the thing !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 barbw5

barbw5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:32 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a mouse, could you please tell me how to disable the trackpad?

Regards, Barbara

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Hi,

I don't have a Dell to hand, but on my wife's Fujitsu it's hold the 'Fn' key ( beside the Ctrl button ) and F6. This is not a standardised positon, but there is usually an 'F' key with a picure of either a mouse or a stylised trackpad on it. Pressing Fn and this key will usually disable the trackpad - to get it back, you just press the same combination again. Then again, I have used at least one laptop where plugging in a mouse automatically turned the trackpad off.

Reference to the manual should give a definite answer. If you don't have either a paper copy or an electronic one somewhere on your computer, you should be able to download it from the Dell website.

Also, some laptops have an icon for the trackpad at the right hand end of the taskbar - right click on this and you may also get a disable / enable option.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 barbw5

barbw5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for the information. It's very kind of you to help a complete stranger like this. As you will have gathered, I'm no techie. I found the right keys, disabled the trackpad and used the mouse, but unfortunately it didn't help.

As the laptop is still under warranty, I have the option of returning it to the shop, but I'm reluctant to do that if I can avoid it. I think I'd end up with no computer for a while if I do that. Has anyone any ideas? 

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

HI,

Well it was just a thought based on personal experience ! 

You say the computer is still under warranty - then I would definitely take it back and complain. There may be some very simple explanation we are both missing, or there may indeed be a fault on it. However, back up your own work and anything of a personal nature like log-ins  and delete them from the computer before you take it back, just in case it gets out of your personal control.

Helping 'strangers' is what this site is about. As the Russians say 'You today, me tomorrow !'

Chris Cosgrove

#7 barbw5

barbw5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the tips, looks like I'll have to return it. One last back-up, then I'll have to start deleting.

Best wishes, Barbara.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

If it turns out to be some little thing we both missed, can you post back here for future reference ?  Even if it's a deep 'Oh s***' moment from your supplier. That's how we find out what worked ( and even more important, what didn't ! ).

Chris Cosgrove

#9 barbw5

barbw5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

I will certainly do that (got a whole 4 words before it stopped that time). Thank you for the advice. If I ever find out what causes the problem, you will be the first to know.

Regards, Barbara

#10 barbw5

barbw5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hi Chris and anyone else who might have followed this,

It's a good-news, bad-news thing. The very good news is that I took the laptop back to Sainsburys and I got a full refund, no quibbles even though I've had it 9 months. Bad news (until I get my head round it), the new laptop I bought with the refund is Windows8. Good news, this one seems to be typing perfectly. Bad news, I never really found out the cause of the problem. I had been in touch with Dell at the same time I was appealing for help here, and after trying everything they suggested (to fix it), the only thing they could tell me was "it's probably a tracker problem." Thanks for the help, though. Now I'm off to look at the Windows8 tutorials.

Regards and thanks,  Barbara

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Glad you got the problem sorted, even if it meant a change of computer and now having to learn a different operating system !

Chris Cosgrove

#12 verdant1

verdant1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:05 AM

Hello.  I'm new to this forum but was fortunate to Ask Google about my problem and found a post by barbw5 that has been my problem exactly for several months. I thought no one could be so unfortunate but now I know there are two of us.  What she said is precisely what I have experienced: random typing effectiveness, stops typing for no reason after one or twenty words, without any discernible pattern.  I must watch the screen constantly to detect missed words or sentences and then click to bring the cursor back so I can resume typing.  A letter will take a half an hour.....seriously.  Or it may only take 10 minutes if the machine wishes to cooperate.  I have a Dell745 with W-7.  I also have another identical Dell 745 with W-7 but it doesn't have this problem whatsoever.  And I also have a Dell 780 with W-7 and it works flawlessly. If I didn't need this computer for my work I would take it out in my backyard and shoot it.  I have tried changing keyboards with no difference.  I would sing a chant if it would make a difference.  I will not buy another computer since I am too poor and shouldn't have to do that.  Now that I know someone else has the same problem I am heartened and have much hope even more will have experienced the same symptoms.  This nasty computer worked fine for several years without showing any signs of this problem, and I have an extremely competent computer guy who can fix Dells so I keep it up and maintained by this wizard.  I thought this was the work of some other worldly power so I haven't asked him yet.  I thought I'd continue this thread and possibly find more victims who might shed some insight into this problem and the solution if they have found one.  I don't want to use W-8. My other computers use W-7 without incident. Thanks for any guidance anyone might provide.

#13 barbw5

barbw5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:18 AM

Well,that was a blast from the past. Unfortunately I never found out what was wrong with my laptop, so I can't help except to recommend disabling the trackpad temporarily (as above) and see if that helps. The manufacturers were really unhelpful, so I bought a different make with the refund money and haven't had the same problem with the replacement. Good luck, I really hope you solve it. I hadn't realised quite how annoyingly/irritating it was until I had a machine that worked properly.
Regards, barb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users