Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp not loading, black or bsod

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 1reclaimed

1reclaimed

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

System was working and then the bsod message tech Bios not acpi compliant  stop:0x000000A5 could not enter safe mode or any other mode, but did once enter comlete windows start from prior start up config before another bsod. Since then used the xp install disc via cd to access the console one time only ran chkdisk /r said okay. F11 to access windows setup and loads the drivers black screen and back to the bsod thanks for any and all help. :bananas:

No name system

K8 Upgrade - VM800  BIOS P2.00

AMD Sempron  processor 2800+

1600 MHZ

L1 128 kb    L2  256 kb

memory 1280 mb  with 64mb shared memory

HDD  PM-HDS728080PL

XP home 3

BSOD

stop: 0x00000050 (0XE1350000,0x00000000,0XBF8236DC,0x00000001)

win32k.sys - address BF8236DC base at BF800000, DateStamp 5164c0dd

stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902fe,0xB870337c,0xB8703078,0xB9E39A73)

ntfs.sys - address B9E39A73 base at B9E13000, DateStamp 480256E5

tech BIOS not ACPI compliant

stop:0X000000A5 (Ox00000011,0x00000007,0xF7D453F0,0x02002026)

unexpected error (1274741248) occurred at 1773 on d:\x=sprtm\bBse\boot setup\a>cdisp.c.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

Can you boot into the BIOS?

If so, are date/time data correct?

Is the hard drive reflected properly in the BIOS?

Any previous indications of system problems before the incident you reported?

Louis

#3 1reclaimed

1reclaimed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for help Louis, yes I can get into the BIOS and the date/time shows correct and hard drive also shows correct. No prior indication of system problems I am sure the BIOS is in need of update to correct the ACPI compliant BSOD. Also member lakegirl posted some screen shots of her problem which are like the ones I've gotten on this journey. I have followed this forum and picked up much information but this has got me.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

The problem with your theory...is that a BIOS doesn't normally "just go bad" as if if were an installed file.  Files get damaged routinely...a BIOS doesn't get routinely damaged...and updating a BIOS is only useful when doing so provides some additional capability.  Since, apparently, this system had been running fine for years...with the current BIOS...I fail to see any logic for looking for an updated version, let alone installing it.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8036385_reasons-bios-fails.html

STOP 24 errors...arise when there is file corruptio...there is partition damage...or the hard drive itself has problems.  Playing with the BIOS is not going to impacft any of these situations.  The file damage will remain, the partition damage will remain. and the hard drive degradation would continue.

STOP A5 errors with credible info that I have reviewed...indicate a connection with attempting to install Windows, a critical update, or a program.  I see none that assert "BIOS corruption" or anything of the sort.  I cannot make the mental jump to "BIOS corruption".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314830

It's your system...if you want to update the BIOS...then you take your chances.

If this were my system...I'd replace the CMOS battery...then reset the BIOS to defaults, save the changes...and see if the system boots correctly sans error messages.

I would also run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic's long/extended test...on the hard drive, based on the STOP 24 error.  I like to know that the hard drive can be removed from suspicion, especiaally if my other attempts fo diagnose/repair...fail.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#5 1reclaimed

1reclaimed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

Louis thanks for your insight into problem I only considered BIOS update because bsod message and what I misunderstood. I've run the seatools for DOS long test on the hard drive which passed both the long test and DST test. I'll pop the case and replace cmos battery when I return from kayaking trip or should I do something else prior to poping case please advise.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

I would just replace the battery, with system powereed down.

Once replaced...enter BIOS, reset date/time (if necessary), elect to set the system to "optimal boot defaults", save the changes by hitting F10.  F10 saves, then reboots...hopefully, into Windows with no problems :).

Louis

#7 1reclaimed

1reclaimed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Louis

I did as instructed replacing cmos battery and BIOS reset after a couple of false starts / I picked prior config boot option and windows started. Ran sim driver to update drivers and i orbit system 6 to clean up the trash, all seems well so far :bananas: . Should I run mini tools (what options) and post the text for further instructions ?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

If you are happy...we are happy :).

I will advise you to stay away from "registry cleanerr/optimizers".

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons

1.   Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

2.  Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry , “the Windows registry stores all application settings in one logical repository (but a number of discrete files) and in a standardized form.  The registry contains important configuration information for the operating system, for installed applications as well as individual settings for each user and application. A careless change to the operating system configuration in the registry could cause irreversible damage, so it is usually only installer programs which perform changes to the registry database during installation/configuration and removal.  If a user wants to edit the registry manually, Microsoft recommends that a backup of the registry is performed before the change.  Editing the registry is sometimes necessary when working around Windows-specific issues e.g. problems when logging onto a domain can be resolved by editing the registry.  The Windows registry can be edited manually using programs such as regedit.exe, although these tools do not expose some of registry's metadata such as the last modified date.”

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner“A registry cleaner is a class of third party software utility designed for the Microsoft Windows operating system, whose purported purpose is to remove redundant items from the Windows registry.  Registry cleaners are not supported by Microsoft, but vendors of Registry cleaners claim that they are useful to repair inconsistencies arising from manual changes to applications, especially COM-based programs.. 

The necessity and usefulness of registry cleaners is a controversial topic, with experts in disagreement over their benefits. The problem is further clouded by the fact that malware and scareware are often associated with utilities of this type.There is a popular misconception that the value of registry cleaning lies in reducing "registry bloat". Even a neglected registry will seldom contain more than two or three thousand redundant entries. Bearing in mind that the modern registry may contain more than a million entries, the elimination of two or three thousand will not save any noticeable amount of scanning time.

Some registry cleaners make no distinction as to the severity of the errors, and many that do may erroneously categorize errors as "critical" with little basis to support it. It.  Removing or changing certain registry data can prevent the system from starting, or cause application errors and crashes.  A poorly-designed registry cleaner may not be equipped to know for sure whether a key is still being used by Windows or what detrimental effects removing it may have. This may lead to loss of functionality and/or system instability.

While it is true that some registry cleaners are safe, these cleaners do not improve performance. The rest are a mix of snake-oil, actual malware, or dangerously powerful tools unsuited to non-professionals.”

For the reasons pointed out above and others…BC does not encourage/suggest that any member use a registry cleaner.

Louis

#9 1reclaimed

1reclaimed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Louis

Thanks for your help and advice on this problem as machine is working again as intended. I am with you on all registry cleaners (possible more harm than any good) and I always run the iobit program with that part unchecked. Once again much thanks one this end Louis

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users