Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to building, look for a good PSU

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tribalrage24

tribalrage24

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

Hello, I'm building a computer for gaming (Not high end, just decent) on a budget of approximately $1000. This is the first computer I'm building so I'm quite new to this. I have selected most of the parts online, but have not ordered any of them yet, so nothing is set in stone. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a power supply to fit my current build. I used an online calculator (http://support.asus.com/PowerSupply.aspx?SLanguage=en) and it said I would need roughly 500W.

Parts I want to get so far:
Mobo: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (or possibly the FX-4300)
GPU: Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition 2GB
Memory: 8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB) Crucial Ballistix 
Hard Drive: WD Blue 500GB 7200RPM
and a cheap samsung DvD drive.

So far I've read that I should buy a good brand PSU like Corsair, but idk which one. Also I've heard that I should go for a good efficiency rating of at least 80+ silver, is that necessary?

Also, any critiques or advice on my chosen parts is very welcome.  I would like to have some second or third opinions on my parts as, like I said ,I am new to building a computer. Thank you a lot!

(P.S I live in canada so I do most of my online shopping from tigerdirect, newegg, etc.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

hello,

With that kind of budget, you can pretty much get yourself a nice coolermaster, corsair or Antec @ around 750w. Also consider getting a solid state hard drive for your boot drive, and use the other HDD for storage and programs.

But getting back on course, most gamers that i see want at least 750 watts with lots of cables and connectors for extras. I think that graphics card is going to need a couple  of 6 pin connections off of the PSU . Personally, I have had a low budget level Thermaltake 430w  dual rail in my non-gaming home rig for the last 4 years without any problems and it has no shortage of power or extra connections ( actually, it is more like a plethora of connections coming out of that thing ). There is a nice search engine up in the top right corner of the BC page for you to search. Some experts teach that sometimes a single rail is as good or better than a dual rail. Also consider that the one activity that taxes a PSU the most is burning DVDs.

Also consider the voltage tweaking that very well may go on as the end user will be flirting with "Overclocking the Hertz"  on the CPU and GPU.

This topic is mostly classified in this forum and the Internal Hardware forum.

Hope this helps

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

ok, i just saw one fo the experts machine profile, he is using a PSU- Corsair TX-750 V2

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:13 AM

Hello, I'm building a computer for gaming (Not high end, just decent) on a budget of approximately $1000. This is the first computer I'm building so I'm quite new to this. I have selected most of the parts online, but have not ordered any of them yet, so nothing is set in stone. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a power supply to fit my current build. I used an online calculator (http://support.asus.com/PowerSupply.aspx?SLanguage=en) and it said I would need roughly 500W.

Parts I want to get so far:
Mobo: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (or possibly the FX-4300)
GPU: Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition 2GB
Memory: 8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB) Crucial Ballistix 
Hard Drive: WD Blue 500GB 7200RPM
and a cheap samsung DvD drive.

So far I've read that I should buy a good brand PSU like Corsair, but idk which one. Also I've heard that I should go for a good efficiency rating of at least 80+ silver, is that necessary?

Also, any critiques or advice on my chosen parts is very welcome.  I would like to have some second or third opinions on my parts as, like I said ,I am new to building a computer. Thank you a lot!

(P.S I live in canada so I do most of my online shopping from tigerdirect, newegg, etc.)

G'day mate, the wattage calculator from Asus is pretty spot on. 500W to 600W is plenty while giving some room for little upgrades in the future. I'm not exactly sure on the cost of the other parts but the Seasonic M12II 620 would be right for the job.

ok, i just saw one fo the experts machine profile, he is using a PSU- Corsair TX-750 V2

Haha, that's my power supply  :bananas:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

Yeah, 500-600 watts is about the right size for that system.  GPU~120 watts loaded, CPU about 120 watts loaded, plus another 40 watts for everything else = 280 watts on a tough day.  That puts it right in the 500 watt territory, 600-650 watt for future upgrades and overclocking.

Whatever you buy, research it.  Of all the brands you can get, there are maybe 5 OEMs out there that build the vast majority of power supplies, no matter the "brand".  JonnyGuru, HardOCP, and Hardwaresecrets have the best PSU reviews.  Just be aware, with a couple of exceptions, most brands have really good models, and some no so good ones.  Any review site that doesn't do any testing besides "it booted up and ran, and the lights on the power supply are pretty" can be ignored.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 tribalrage24

tribalrage24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

Okay Thanks for the help all!  Really appreciate it!

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

• PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

• 500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended7

That 7850 is going to need one 6 pin connector off of the PSU with 75 watt capacity if it is by itself without crossfiring a second card, in addition to the PCI slot on MoBo. i think those 6 pin PSU connectors are 3 x 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users