Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I use MalwareBytes and ESET?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 guitarguy93

guitarguy93

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hey there. As you can probably tell by my post count and join date, I'm brand-new to this forum. I've noticed that I have a Worm on my computer and I want to get rid of it. Before I take my computer to a technician, I wanted to solve this problem myself. Specifically, it's RBOT-WM.

I've looked at your malware removal thread and it suggests that, if ESET doesn't work, I run MalwareBytes and SUPERAntiSpyware on my computer. My question is this; Can I run all three of these programs without messing up my computer? I'm very weary about anything like this, as I've installed two antivirus programs at once before, and it turned out to be a $200+ fix. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

Hello and welcome guitarguy

The answer to your question is Yes. You can run all of those. They are Antimalware and ESET is an Antivirus.

About W32/Rbot-WM , it's and ugly Backdoor infection.

Now I need to ask do you have an Antivirus installed??

Now an important consideration on this infection.

One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files. I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately.

If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS.

Please read these for more information:
How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.

Edited by boopme, 18 June 2013 - 07:26 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 guitarguy93

guitarguy93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

Given your stated information, I think it would be best if I were to reformat and reinstall my OS. It just so happens that I have a Windows 8 Disc lying around here somewhere.

To be entirely honest, I'm not sure that it actually has an infection. ESET hasn't detected anything (Yet. The scan isn't totally complete), and the file that alerted me to it isn't listed as a startup process, but rather under "Details" in the Task Manager. I think it would still be best to reinstall my OS, though. Will I need to completely erase all my hard drives and reinstall? I'm pretty sure that to "Format" a drive is to essentially erase everything, but I want to make sure.

P.S. - I am on a secured computer, and the infected computer is disconnected from the internet.

EDIT: I am assuming that the ending process of this scan is where it will be detected, if at all. It just started scanning the System32 files.

Edited by guitarguy93, 18 June 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Whenever a system has been compromised by a backdoor payload, it is impossible to know if or how much the backdoor has been used to affect your system...There are only a few ways to return a compromised system to a confident security configuration. These include:
Reimaging the system
Restoring the entire system using a full system backup from before the backdoor infection
Reformatting and reinstalling the system

A hard drive is a disk (or set of disks) with a magnetizable coating on which a recording head can write information. Each kind of computer and operating system has its own way of formatting that information, but they all write in concentric circles, grouping the information into smaller blocks or sectors. Before data can be stored on a hard drive (or any magnetic disk, actually), it must be formatted. This process magnetically creates the writeable areas on the disk.

To reformat the disk means to recreate these areas, refreshing the disk to a new state. A full format permanently erases everything on the disk as part of the process.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_it_mean_to_reformat_a_computer

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. You can back up all your important documents, personal data files, photos, music, videos to a CD or DVD drive, not a flash drive or external hard drive as they may become compromised in the process. The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr), dynamic link library (*.dll), autorun (.ini) or script files (.php, .asp, .htm, .html, .xml) files because they may be infected by malware. Avoid backing up compressed files (.zip, .cab, .rar) that have executables inside them as some types of malware can penetrate compressed files and infect the .exe files within them. Other types of malware may even disguise itself by hiding a file extension or by adding double file extensions and/or space(s) in the file's name to hide the real extension as shown here (click Figure 1 to enlarge) so be sure you look closely at the full file name. If you cannot see the file extension, you may need to reconfigure Windows to show file name extensions. Then make sure you scan the backed up data with your anti-virus prior to to copying it back to your hard drive.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 guitarguy93

guitarguy93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

Thank you very much for you information. I'm currently installing a fresh OS on the infected PC now. Thanks, again!

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

You're welcome from all at Bleepingcomputer !

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

Don't forget to read Tips to protect yourself against malware infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users