Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor always running and being noisy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jarv

Jarv

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

Hi

I have noticed recently that my laptops processor is always running and being very noisy even at times when I have the laptop on the desktop without any programs open. In general it has also slowed a little such as when I first open the internet and go to my home page (Google) it takes about 5 seconds to allow me to type in the search bar and when typing it can take a while for the words to actually appear.

When I first purchased the laptop about 4 / 5 months ago there was no processor noise and it was running well but this has started to happen in the last couple of weeks or so.

I have scanned with avast, Malware Bytes, Superanti Spyware and Hitman Pro and it has always come back clean. I have also used CCleaner to cleam unwanted files.

I am using a Samsung laptop with a core i5 processor running at 2.3GHz. Does anyone know what could be causing this or have any suggestions as to how I may be able to resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

Leon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

Go into Task Manager and see if anything is hogging CPU time.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

dpunisher's suggestion is fine, but 'processors' don't make any noise !  If you mean the cooling fan is running continuously this may indicate an overheating problem. Are you using this laptop in a dusty, smoky or otherwise negative environment ?  An alternative would be a faulty fan or fan control. If you do not have temperature sensing software malready on your computer, I can recommend 'Speccy' which you can get from:

www.piriform.com/

Very simple software which among an amazing amount of info about your computer will tell you the temperatures of your motherboard, hard drive and graphics. It gives a figure in degrees C and a box where the colour ( green is safe ) and the amount of empty space in the box indicates whether or not you are getting close to safe limits.

If you google the make and model of your computer you should find advice on how to remove dirt etc. from the heatsink area, or search BC. It's a topic that crops up regularly. I'd do it for you myself, but I am suffering mega-internet problems at the moment.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

this is actually very common on laptops, expecially the multiple GHz hi-performance ones. oh how i miss those cool 16 mhz days.

anyway, more than likely, you have sticky dust building up on your CPU heatsink,  blocking airflow. Speccy is one heat monitoring program, but there are others like SIW and HW monitor that don't hog resources like speccy does.  ( i prefer S I W myself) .... there are existing techniques for cleaning out the laptop CPU heatsink (simple searches and a little reading go a long way) , here at BC and elsewhere. and once you do get your heatsink clean, try to adhere an air filter material right where the fans are sucking air in, to keep sticky dust where it belongs, OUTSIDE OF YOUR expensive UNIT.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users