Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switch (router) -accessing Online Games Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Yunalesca

Yunalesca

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:53 PM

I got a switch today which is like a router but no encryption etc (since it's 70+ dollars cheaper than a router). I connected both computers to the internet... the internet's working awesome (probably even better than before) and both computers are connecting nicely.... one computer is a HP (two weeks old) the other is a Cicero (but it rocks even better than the HP and it is 4 years old oO)

Now I did a IP check and they were different.... the last 6 numbers were completely different... but here's the problem... whenever I try to log into an online game the HP computer connects, but the Cicero computer doesn't connect for some reason. Now I'm not sure if it's an IP problem or if it's just the computer problem? But for some reason I think it has to do with the switch.... can anyone advice me on this one?

I mean I would understand if they don't let me connect since we got the same IP... but apparently that's not the case... but maybe there's something to do to mask the IP or whatever... I really don't know... but appreciate some suggestions...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:43 AM

Yunalesca, it surprizes me that you can get online with either computer. Only one computer can access the modem's IP at a time, which usually denies both if they attempt access the internet together. The point of a router is it utilizes DHCP to share the connection with several computers. It will function as a gateway and control the internal (LAN) IP addresses. It can and does serve other purposes but for home/small office envioments this is it primary job.
The switch it like a smart hub, and is often used in conjunction with a router. On a closed LAN (no outside access) you can assign each computer an internal IP address and use a hub or switch to link them togther. You could also connect one computer to the internet directly thru the modem and "route" the other computers thru the first. Th first computer would be the "Gateway" computer. with a second NIC in the Gateway computer you would attach the switch or hub. That is what I would recommend if you cannot take back the switch and exchance it for a router.
I would recommend the Linksys Nwtwork Everywhere NR041-mw 4 port Router. I have use it for years and as a basic router it is bullet proof.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3910287
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users