Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Finding GPU and Sound Card For HTPC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crankit

crankit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

Hello,

First, I have say, i have got a lot of questions answered over the years reading this forum. Great place. This time its a little harder so I had to post it up:

The intention is to integrate an HTPC into the media room. Currently a Denon DVD sends audio to a Rotel surround processor through digital coax or optical, and video to the display via component.

The problem is I cant figure out what GPU/sound card configuration is needed in this situation.

As far as digital inputs, the TV will accept S-Video and HDMI (and VGA).

The sound processor will only accept digital coax or fiber optic for audio (in regards to digital).

As stated above, the video goes directly to the display to avoid any potential losses from passing through the audio processor.

From my research, it looks like i need to have separate cards for audio and video. . . unless there is some way to cleanly separate the audio and video with HDMI.

1. What hardware would you recommend for my application and why?

2. Will there be software issues to resolve?

It would be nice to have a good clean installation, no external adapters/converters, etc. The A/V hardware mentioned above is of high quality, but is dated. It still performs great though, so no upgrades are planned.

Thanks,

Crank It

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

I ran across the same scenario, and I will tell you what I did.  HDMI from a HD5670 to TV for video and audio, also receiver audio out via soundcard.

I Found the cheapest 7-1 soundcard I could find..........PPA Int'l 1424v. and used the optical out to my receiver and it worked....for about $17.

Comparable card  http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-PEX63034-Channel-Surround-Envy24DT/dp/B00778G78C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371589614&sr=8-1&keywords=syba+sd-pex63034

As to your questions- I recommend this because it is cheap and it is outputting  a digital audio stream, so cheap is OK, at least in my book.

Software problems- don't know.  That junky PPA 1424V was flawless (discounting the first one that had an inop optical port, no laser for you!)  Haven't used the one I posted from Amazon.  HDCP audio protection- that one is for you to figure out.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

The HTPC market is relatively low-budget

I run a visiontek hd 5550 and it  gets great reviews for htpc and dolby audio and runs around $60 USD.  mine came with a dvi-d port as well as a vga and hdmi. it stays very quiet and remains under 50 C even under load. it fits right into legacy PCI slot with minimum watt sponging.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 crankit

crankit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Thanks, guys. I believe I have it figured out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users