Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is my local D drive full?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Derekle560

Derekle560

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Hi, my local disk drive D came with about 500 GB in space along with my local disk drive C which came with about 300 GB. I only download and store programs in my C drive. Yet for some reason when I checked, my D drive had 400 GB taken up in space. I believe that I accidentally let one of the Samsung Recovery Programs run and I saved it into my D Drive. In order to recover the lost 400 GB, is it possible to delete all the files in my D Drive? Also I did not complete the recovery step for my laptop. Any response would be appreciated. 

Thank you.

These are the files in my D drive. 
http://i43.tinypic.com/2nbufco.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

It's your system...your drives...your files.

You can delete them all anytime that you feel like it.

The logic of deleting all files on a hard drive...escapes me, but I'm confused easily :).

Before doing anything...I suggest that you...

Go Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Take and post a screenshot, please.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot. - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html

Louis

#3 Derekle560

Derekle560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the response. I just want to free up all the memory from the my D drive because it used to be completely empty until now. But through this, I don't want to delete any necessary files that my computer needs. I was just perplexed that one day my D drive is practically full when I barely touched it. 

Disk management 

http://i43.tinypic.com/2d015wy.png

#4 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

Actually, your D drive is most certainly a partition on your local drive C and it stores the factory back up software and restore image. Deleting he files and or partition may hinder future recovery attempts of your computer.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#5 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

If so, can you view the contents of your D drive? Or does it come up as hidden or otherwise in windows explorer?

Edited by Zestypanda, 19 June 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Well...your graphic shows that you have plenty of space avaiilable...for present and future storage, almost 400GBs.

There is no need to delete anything...but, as I said, it's your system.  Hard drive space that is not used...is just unused storage capability, which is a good thing, but has no impact at all on memory.

FWIW:  A hard drive...is not memory.  A hard drive is just a storage container for the O/S and various other files which use the O/S.

Memory is RAM, it is used by all programs and Windows...to do anything that can be done on a system.

Louis

#7 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Furthermore, computer manufactures always fudge the numbers, lets say it has a 500gb drive, sometimes I've seen them give a (formatted capacity) 450gb drive then fill it up with thro bloat ware so in the end you only have 320gb usable.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

Furthermore, computer manufactures always fudge the numbers, lets say it has a 500gb drive, sometimes I've seen them give a (formatted capacity) 450gb drive then fill it up with thro bloat ware so in the end you only have 320gb usable.

See http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/615 , before Windows is installed..  The size of the Windows partition is arbitrary, up to the installer.  Hidden recovery partitions are provided by OEMs because that is the sole means provided to their customers...to reinstall Windows, since they don't get Windows installation disks.

Louis

#9 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

Yes, I understand about how windows partitions drivers and recovery partitions. Hidden or otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users