Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help viewing downloaded youtube vids

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thevichas

thevichas

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

I have always been able to view the YouTube vids that I downloaded. Starting this past week I have downloaded several videos that will NOT open in any of my players. All players are updated but the files still will not play. The file type says MP4 but I have my doubts as to if that is what it really is. I use the videos when not connected to the internet to teach firefighting strategies and tactics so nothing illegal or unethical here.

I TRIED THIS WITHOUT SUCCESS:

Why can't I play the .mp4 file I downloaded?

We are aware of a compatibility issue that is preventing some .mp4 files from playing in RealPlayer. Essentially, the files that are being downloaded are not actually MP4s but a new streaming format that is being misidentified as MP4.

We are working toward compatibility with this new format.

To check if a file is a true MP4 file or the new format, try playing the file in QuickTime.

If the file does not play in QuickTime: Try Solution 1 below.
If the file plays in QuickTime: It is a true MP4 video and should also work in RealPlayer. If it doesn't, try Solution 2 below.

Solution 1

The following steps should work for customers who are on Windows 7 or 8 and are using Internet Explorer (version 9 or higher) to download videos.

1. Click the Tools (gear) icon at the top right of the browser and select Manage Add-ons.
2. Under Adobe Systems, click on "Shockwave Flash Object" and click the Disable button that appears at the bottom right of the window.
3. Close the Manage Add-ons window.
4. Go to www.youtube.com.
5. It will prompt you to "Upgrade Adobe Flash Player"--ignore this message.
6. Try downloading a video. It should successfully download and play in RealPlayer.

Solution 2

If you have RealPlayer 16 Plus and are still unable to play .mp4 files that work in QuickTime, try the following steps:

1. Make sure you are signed in to RealPlayer Plus.
2. Make sure all updates are installed to RealPlayer Plus (click the RealPlayer logo and click Check for Update, or sign out and sign back in).
3. Update QuickTime Player (visit Apple's QuickTime site to download).
4. Re-download the .mp4 file. Note: Some files created with camcorders may not play in RealPlayer

please help!!!!

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2013 - 09:10 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Audio/video Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hi

Did you tried VLC Player ? . If not download it from the below link and give a try. 

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

It supports virtually every format. If it also failed to play the file, it may be corrupted. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 18 June 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

Also if you have Windows Media Player 12, it supports MP4 format as well. If you have version 11, you'll have to install the codec pack in order for it to work. Like Anshad said, the file could of got corrupted during the download, and re-downloading the file could fix it.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 thevichas

thevichas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for the replies.

@ Anshad, I did download and try to use VLC and it did not open the file. It has worked on every other file I have ever tried.

@ Chris87I tried it in media 11 with the latest updates and got nothing. I installed the codec pack and it did not help.

I also installed:

K-Lite Codec Pack (Full) with player.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/

This played the vid with no sound.

Maybe someone can try going to you tube and see if you have any luck.

Please search: "Working House Fire At 50 Washington In New Chicago In. On 06-01-11". - YouTube

I Could download but not replay.

Let me know if you can replay it. My email is: thevichas@gmail.com or just post here.

Thanks,

Dan

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

What download program are you using to rip the video from youtube?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#6 thevichas

thevichas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

Real player. The most up to date free version.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130603105113AAhOX6U

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users