Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bookmark management, sorting and cleaning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

I would like a small freebie program which will enable me to control all my many bookmarks.

It must be reliable and capable of sorting them into duplicates, old unused, outdated or defunct bookmarks etc, and include multiple selected and block deleting.

Can anybody recommend a trustworthy program ? Of paramount importance is that  any program must not endanger my bookmark storage through losses of any kind when in operation or on uninstalling.

I use Windows XP Home and Google Chrome browser as default, with Firefox and IE as as alternatives.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

As no replies have been received, I have surfed the web and come up with AM Deadlink @ http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm

Copy of site product summary is :-

AM-DeadLink detects dead links and duplicates in browser bookmarks and text files. If a bookmark has become unavailable you can verify and delete it permanently. Additionally you can download FavIcons for all your Favorites and Bookmarks.

AM-DeadLink is Freeware!

AM-DeadLink can check the following resources:

• Internet Explorer Favorites
  • Firefox bookmarks
  • Opera bookmarks
  • Chrome bookmarks
  • HTML files
  • URLs from tab delimited text files
  • URLs from comma separated text files

I have now used this program extensively to so far delete many duplicates. On opening, the bookmarks are listed. Various actions are then possible using the icons provided. For duplicates, just click the icon and all duplicates are listed with an arrow against the first record (this is not deleted). They can then be sorted with all errors marked in red at the top of the list. A reason is given for the error.

Redirect - OK items are in blue and all the rest for action, in black.

Selective deletion of items can be done by holding the CNTRL key down and clicking the  selections. You can select any number. When finished with the selected batch, just click the delete icon and wait for the program to finish. The total count of bookmarks is shown at the bottom.

IMPORTANT ! After selecting your batch of deletions, release the CNTRL key but DO NOT click on the screen or you will lose the lot and have to start again. Only click on the scroll bars or the appropriate delete icon.

So far I have deleted almost 3,000 bookmarks from my Chrome browser, with more to go. For some reason, Chrome has many individual  duplicates per item. This may be the result of importing from IE and Firefox.

Anyhow, I am happy now and consider the matter closed.

Screenshot :-

deadlinkscreenshot_zpsd9d64dc3.png

Edited by yabbadoo, 20 June 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

UPDATE

As stated, I use Chrome and AM Deadlink has done an  excellent job with no problems. I have manually reduced my bookmarks from over 10,000 to about 1,800. It was laborious keyboard/mouse work but deletions went like a dream after that. AMD performed superbly. I reckon I tabbed 40-50 items per minute, in a 10 minute work spell, that is around 400-500 each time.

AMD version 4.6 does not however delete duplicates from Firefox. An extract of why is briefly shown below from the Mozilla Support Forum :-

"AM Deadlink appears to only work on .html files. Firefox now uses .sqlite file for bookmarks (places.sqlite) and it will not work to delete duplicates. See AMD item here -http://www.aignes.com/deadlink_history.htm"

Firefox may be an unfortunate exception, since AMD does work OK with IE. I do not know about other browsers.

I found it necessary to defrag after every bulk deletion using either Defraggler or Auslogics as fragmentation always increased, probably due to file disruption.

IMPORTANT

==========

Before starting to use AMD with Chrome as I have described, you MUST unsync the Bookmarks. To do this just follow :-

Google Control Icon>Settings>Sign in>Advanced Sync Settings>Uncheck Bookmarks>OK

Then all goes smoothly as described.

The Google Control Icon is at the extreme top right hand corner of the complete screen shown as 3 horizontal bars forming a square.

Edited by yabbadoo, 25 June 2013 - 12:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users