Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Server and Remote Access from anywhere in the world?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steria

Steria

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

I have a stationary computer (Dell Dimension 9200 running Windows 7 Pro) that I want to make into a home server, and I also want to be able to remotely access it from outside the home to save and copy files (just like a storage unit). I've installed a brand new 1 GB WD harddrive in it.

I want at least 4 people to be able to access the server with their laptops from anywhere in the world.

Are there any programs (free or paid) that you could recommend? And how safe are these programs?

Thank you,
- Steria

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steria

Steria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Can anyone help me with this?

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

If you want something like a ftp server, you can use filezilla which is free. Also you can use the built in IIS server in Windows to run a FTP server as well for free.

IF your not wanting that kind of setup, what are you wanting exactly?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 TwisTDropshot

TwisTDropshot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:41 AM

You could probably also use team viewer its free but your computer would have to be on at all times and its pretty easy to configure it to do that you just set a password and keep the id teamviwer gives you for that pc and you can acces it form anywhere as long as you know the password/id!

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

There are plenty of rdp programs out there from logmein to teamviewer, to simply using a vnc server like Ultravnc. Install the server, and then use the client to connect to it. Each one is different in setting up, so you'll have to decide on which one will work better for you. Personally I use Teamviewer for personal use as it's free, and it's an awesome aio rdp program. You can also make you an account on teamviewer, and manage all your computers/devices from 1 account, make groups so you know what pc belongs to who and etc.. The drag and drop file transfer in teamviewer is one of my favorite perks as well.

Edited by chrisd87, 21 June 2013 - 11:07 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#6 RecklessX

RecklessX

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

The only thing I see that may be a problem is that 4 people need to access this from anywhere around the world.

If there multiple people who want to access this machine at the same time a solution like team viewer, lmi or rdp would not work unless he has a terminal server.

X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users