Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Scavenger

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 phntm

phntm

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

How do you search for a folder with file scavenger, I can't, because I don't know what extension to look for. The drive is still functional. I need to find my desktop folder, specifically.

Edited by phntm, 18 June 2013 - 06:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

The desktop folder is simply called desktop, it has no extension. With some more detail of how your search is hindered, someone familiar with File Scavenger can probably point you in the right direction.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 phntm

phntm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Hmmm, I tried that already, it didn't work. I also tried E:/user name/etc.

The search is basic as click and search. No special options or anything.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

So a search simply specifying "desktop" returns nothing? The drive may be in worse condition than you suspect. What is the story behind needing to do a recovery?

#5 phntm

phntm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

The drives fine, it does not work on my cyberpower pc, but I have been able to recover one file at a time and everything shows up in good condition. Searching desktop just does not bring up anything. I can only search for things one at a time, but I have tons of files on my desktop and searching 1 by 1 is insane, so I figured there must be a way to just bring up all files from the desktop folder/directory. Because computer tech guys have done it before too, they were able to bring up all of the exacting contents in my desktop folder. But I don't know what they typed.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

Are you using a demo that will only let you recover a single file at a time?  If that's the case, wouldn't you be better off to use a free recovery application that shows you everything you can recover & lets you choose?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Just as a further observation, the desktop you see on the screen is generated dynamically according to the account being used, so you can't depend on locating all the desktop items in a single desktop folder. The locations will thus vary from system to system, according to Windows version and how the user accounts are set up.

For example on the XP netbook I'm using at the moment, the desktop items are spread across the 3 desktop folders in C:\Documents and Settings; my username folder, the All Users folder and Default User.

#8 phntm

phntm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

It's the full version of file scavenger, and it works quite well, but I guess those tech guys last time according to what you last said... were able to pull the folder because of how everything was setup on that other hard drive, so it's different for each hard drive. Hmm yeah, because this one is scattered, just the files are all over the place... meaning if I pull up desktop it just gives me every last single file scattered, I don't know whats what, but it does not pop any specific folder. Maybe I should try a free one that pulls entire folders, it's worth a shot, can you recommend any of the top ones? There is a lot of them. I think I'm just going to have to try that now.

Edit:

What happens if I select all the folders from the desktop to recover? because I noticed when you do recover some thing, it organizes it. So maybe if I just select every file, it'll put everything back into it's place automatically? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I just want to make sure I don't lose anything, because I know once you recover it, that's it. And I ask because I noticed when you do it like that it some times gets a currupt copy of the file, it's hard to explain, but it does some thing like that.

Edited by phntm, 19 June 2013 - 09:25 PM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

The freebies I see referred to most are probably PCInspector and Recuva:

http://www.pcinspector.de/?language=1

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

From the specifications of File Scavenger mentioning recovery to original location, I think it is supposed to organize things as you say.

#10 phntm

phntm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:53 AM

Alright thanks for the software resources, I'll check those out and see if they pick up on folders, rather than scatter when searching. If not I'll just do the file scavenger thing, and let it organize afterwards. Anyways, thanks for your help, I appreciate it very much. Nice quote on your signature, btw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users