Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CurtainsSysSvc.ServiceConfiguration

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mkatic

mkatic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 11:05 AM

My I turn my computer on it goes to the opening blue screen (but doesn't give me the option of going to a user's profile) and then this message pops up "unable to load service configuration object:CurtainsSysSvc.ServiceConfiguration". I read on one of these bulletins that if you click ok your computer will return to normal use. Mine does not! It just stays on the blue screen. How can I restore my system and get away from this )*)&^^))* thing!

Mod Edit: This post will be split into it's own thread.

Edited by Scarlett, 15 April 2006 - 05:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 02:01 PM

Hello I have been in computers for a long time and really like a challenge. I have tried to look up this error message and come up blank. You have no idea how mad that makes me. But aside from being mad there is some information I need. I need some information about your computers, like what OS, what processor, what make and model, processor and speed and Ram? What you did before getting this error? Did you reformat and reinstall? That sort of stuff.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 02:09 PM

Can you boot in safe mode and disable it from the startup menu as above?

#4 mkatic

mkatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:31 AM

Sorry it took so long to get back to you (taxes and such....). I didn't look up the processor but it's an emachine with Windows XP. It's pretty fast (or at least it was....). Unfortunately I cannot get into safe mode or any mode. I also haven't reformatted yet because I have information on the computer would prefer not to lose but If I must, I must. I wanted to get some advice before I did that, which is why I came here. I'm assuming it's a virus that's frozen my machine.

Thank you for your cooperation on this.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:41 AM

Hello again, No I do not believe it is a virus and it has something to do with the startup procedure in Windows XP. Since you can not access Safe Mode or anyother mode I will say that you cannot access into windows either. If that is correct then the only thing that might work with out having to reinstall Windows and all of your apps is to do a repair of windows. For this you will need access to another computer that works and has a CD-R burner or DVD burnaer on it. The link that I am going to give you I would suggest printing it out and reading it very carefully and also follow the instructions to the letter. Oh one thing when you use Nero version 6 to make the resulting CD the image file you are going to use will have a img file extension on it for use with Nero it has to be changed to ima.

Build an XP-SP2 Recovery Disc = http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1747010,00.asp

After the disk is made the next site will explain itself as to doing a Repair

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I hope this is of some help and it is the only way I see of doing this with out reinstalling everything

One other thing I would suggest making a backup of all of your data from this hard drive, since you cannot access this drive thru Windows on your system I would suggest taking the drive into another computer and setting it up as a second hard drive and then using a file transfer program like Windows Explorer or Total Commander to manually backup your data.

If you decide to go this route and you think you do not have the skills to accomplish these tasks please get someone to help you with these tasks.

#6 mkatic

mkatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:11 AM

I'll give this a shot. Thanks for all your help.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:59 AM

Have you tried booting to "Last known good configuration"? It's a long shot, but it wouldn't hurt to try it if it's available. That service is part of Authentium's "Curtains for Windows." If you could get started, you could perhaps uninstall it. Here's another thread on the topic.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:06 PM

I believe the cause of the error on your computer is the comcast security manager/popup blocker (or another ISP using the same ap).
The task manager should be accessable - ctrl alt delete.
If you have a restore point set from before you loaded the Comcast popup blocker use it (from the task manager) to reset your op system.
If you do not, disable the Comcast security manager/popup blocker in task manager or use msconfig to stop it from starting and delete the program. You can reinstall it later.
See if that works.

Same problem here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/7630/curtain-service/

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 April 2006 - 01:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users