Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop starting to freeze frequently

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimmykemble

jimmykemble

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

I have a 2-year old ASUS laptop with Windows 7 and Intel Core i7. I have not had major problems with it until a month or two ago when my laptop started freezing randomly. The cursor freezes, the keyboard becomes unresponsive, and everything just freezes.  I have to power off (via the power button) and power on to get it running again.  Usually it still freezes once a day or once every two days.  The worst was a few weeks ago where my laptop froze every hour.  Sometimes when I restart my laptop and the Windows recovery screen appears where it can boot in Safe Mode, it freezes at that point too.  I have used avast!, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and tdsskiller to scan for problems every time it freezes, but there are no infections.  I've also used CCleaner.  I also have Adblock and SpywareBlaster installed.

I can't figure out if I have virus/malware or some other issue like overheating, or video card problems (I remember not too long ago my display driver crashed and gave me the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"), or insufficient RAM.

Please advise!  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Security Colleague
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Hello and welcome to BleepingComputer. I am The Dark Knight and will be assisting you. Please ask questions if anything is unclear. :welcome:

Please download OTL.exe by OldTimer to your Desktop.

• Close all windows and double click OTL.exe.
  • In the "Custom Scans/Fixes" window (under the light green bar) paste the following in bold:

netsvcs
    drivers32
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\Results\Install|LastSuccessTime /rs

• Click Run Scan and let the program run uninterrupted.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two Notepad windows. OTL.txt and Extras.txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL. Post both logs in this thread.
  • You may need to use two posts to get it all.

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne, a legend!

If I have helped you please consider donating to the Neuroscience Research Institute.

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users