Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Get Password To Take On Win Xp Upgrade Install

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hhb1999

hhb1999

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:44 PM

This topic is different but related to my last topic, I finally go the repair issue taken care of on my tower. I got it by using another hard drive with a working os on (win xp pro too) and copied most of the windows folder to the down drive. It got the system up and was completing the repair(upgrade is wat windows is calling it after i chose repair but o well).
I got passed the Key part and to the part to name the computer and give it an administrative password, but it will not take ne thing i give it for the password.

It continues to give me the error: Setup was unable to change the password for user account Administrator. Please enter the desired password again.

First, does ne one know why and second, can i get passed this part with out having to do the upgrade again?

Thx :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:00 PM

If it did an "upgrade" it probably loaded the profiles of the original drive onto the new one.

Will it work with no password?

#3 hhb1999

hhb1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:05 PM

It will not except any thing I put in to included if I leave it blank. I did look into my router and pulled up the old computer name so it would be the same. I made it the same and used every password i would have used( am certain that it is one i specificaly use for the admin password on all my machines) and also tried leaving it blank. NADA. Still no luck. I dont know what to do and i dont wanna have to re load windows from scratch(if at all possible). I could get the data off of it with out much problem because I have a working drive that i removed from the pc at xmas when i upgraded my system.

Ne other ideas on how to get pass this would be good.

Thx

hhb1999

Edited by hhb1999, 15 April 2006 - 06:12 PM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:13 PM

Are you saying that everything is working except it will not allow you to set a password but lets you open Windows and use it or that it won't let you in as a user?

#5 hhb1999

hhb1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:16 PM

i am still in the install/upgrade phase were it shows u the status of the installation. so i can not get to the desk top because it isnt done installing yet. Says the following in the status window: Setup will complete in approximiately: 33 minutes :thumbsup:. Its been this way for about 2 hours, lol, because the part where i have to name the pc and give it an administrative password will not except the passwords I try or no password at all.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

You have me confused.

What I understand is that you are using a hard drive with Windows XP already installed on it and then transfered "most" of the Windows XP folders to another drive?

How did you do that and how did that result in an "upgrade"?

#7 hhb1999

hhb1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:44 PM

OK, sorry I am confusing u, will try to clarify from the start. Ready (taking a deep breath)

My monitor freaked out on me. Started getting jumping all over. Went to manufacturers website and their faqs said to up my refresh rate. I did this. I changed to 85 hz and then my monitor would not work. Jus kept saying unsupported rate on the screen in a little box like 2 inches square. So being the idiot i am, i tried to use my windows xp pro install disk to fix the problem. I stuck it in the cd drive and changed bios to boot from cd. It did and i went thru the normal routine with windows install disk, checking system hardware ladida and all that. Did not chose the recovery console because i am not proficient in DOS but instead said to install windows. It then searched and found a copy of windows on the hard drive and asked me if i wished to repair or do a fresh install. I chose repair and have done this on other machines and it usually just wipes out all the system files and replaces em with the standard ones from the cd. Which normally means lots of windows updates and an upgrade to service pack 2 for me.

But when the cd loaded the system files, the Driver.cab file failed to load and i just hit esc to skip it(done this b4 and just had to load the file from a working drive after the install and windows loaded to desk top). The system did an auto reboot after the files were loaded and it got to the wonderful windows xp screen with the Nightrider led in green on the bottom but failed and went to the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. I got out my old drive that i removed at xmas with a good windows install on it and made it the boot drive. I copied most of the windows folder over to the failing drive(failed after about half hte folder but it helped) and set the fail drive as boot.

This got me to the point were the repair/upgrade continued. I dont know why it is saying upgrade because i chose the repair but leave it up to MS to try to make something more confusing. It went thru the continuing install and asked for the KEY to the OS which it accepted and on the next page it requests a Computer Name and an Administrative password. I gave it the same name as it had had before the problem and it will not accept any password to include leaving it blank. It gives me the error message :

Setup was unable to change the password for user account Administrator. Please enter the desired password again. and then an OK button.

(breaths normally again) :thumbsup:
hope that explains it better
hhb1999

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:26 PM

Maybe you should sleep on it and you'll remember the password. That's the way it usually happens with me. Even were you to use a password recovery tool, you'd need to be able to finish installing first, I think, because you'd have to be able to reboot the system from a floppy. That's gonna hash your re-install.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:26 AM

If the second drive you installed was originally from the computer with an installed and operating copy of XP on it why not just boot with it and change the settings on the video adapter back to what your monitor can support?

Are you using an upgraded, separate video card or the onboard adapter on your motherboard? If it is a separate video card, remove it, re-enable the onboard video in the bios and then reinstall the video card after you reinstall Windows.

#10 hhb1999

hhb1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:55 AM

First answer to Herks reply:

I use one password for most of my stuff(i know, thats a no no) but it doesn't work and neither does ne of the other passwords that I use( I only use 3-4 different ones because I have a bad memory). I already changed the refresh rate but had already hosed up the drive by trying to do the repair. So I still cant get passed the password part.

Next Enthusiast:

I did change the settings after booting from the old drive and using a monitor from my sons computer upstairs(hind sight is not 2020, it ticks me off. live and learn). So, I can now view the screen and get to the desktop(on the old drive). If I boot from the old drive, is there a place I can look to find the password on the hosed up drive? Is it encrypted into the registry and can I even view the registry entries on the drive if it isn't the boot drive?

OK, all that said, should I just paste and copy all my data from the hosed up drive to the old one and then fresh install windows or should I continue to bug u all about this issue?

Thanks for all the replys
hhb1999

Edited by hhb1999, 16 April 2006 - 11:57 AM.

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 02:31 PM

OK, all that said, should I just paste and copy all my data from the hosed up drive to the old one and then fresh install windows or should I continue to bug u all about this issue?

That may be your best bet. XP encrypts passwords. They are not something you can just go in and look at. Sometimes XP is just too secure.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:40 PM

That's what I think I would do.

A fresh format and install will eliminate all problems and allow you to start fresh.

Being that you can back up your data now, that makes the most sense.

(suggestion: get a cheap zip drive and keep your passwords on it in the future. Then keep it is a safe place)

#13 hhb1999

hhb1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:49 PM

Thx enthusiast, I only use a few passwords and the one I always used for adminitrator wont work, so I am guessing that has become corrupted, because I tried all the passwords I use. Thanks again to both you and Herk for all ur suggestions.

Time to pull the data off and reformat.

HHB1999

#14 KiNeL

KiNeL

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:08 PM

Looks like you've got yourself in a right buggers muddle and frankly, I suspect that even when you get past this PW problem that will just be the beginning of your problems so I strongly advise you, however painful, to bite the bullet and do a complete clean install.

If you do want to persist with this train wreck then go to

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

and D/L Offline NT PW & Registry Editor.

With this you can create a bootable floppy or CD and null the Administrator PW, i.e. make it blank!

BTW, the best way I know to save passwords is to email them to yourself. At very worst you might have to accesss your mail from another PC/location but at least you know where they are.

#15 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:52 AM

Hello I have not read all of the posts in this one but I have a possible solution. First of all some of what you are doing actually the way you are doing it confuses me but that is ok it is my problem.

I think the solution to your password problem is at Microsoft Knowledge Base

How to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or your password expires

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305/en-us

Please read this article it might solve your password problem.

Also for reinstalling Windows here are two excellent article

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Step-By-Step: Reinstall Windows =
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid...6,tk,urx,00.asp

Wish you the best

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users