Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen on laptop comes on for about a second then shuts off

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 turkey10

turkey10

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

When I turn my Toshiba laptop on the screen comes on for 1-2 seconds then goes black. It keeps on loading windows because I hear the sounds of windows loading and when I type in my password it makes the sounds like my desktop is loading but no image on the screen, I shut it down and restart it and it does the same thing, just shows an image for about 1-2 seconds then black :(. I have tried it at least a dozen times. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Just noticed that the cooling fan does not seem to be running, could it be over heating on me?

Edited by turkey10, 17 June 2013 - 09:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

Have you tried plugging in an external monitor? Does the computer make it to the windows loading screen?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 turkey10

turkey10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

No I have not tried an external monitor yet and no it does not make it to the windows loading screen before I lose the screen, it shows the Toshiba logo screen before bios loads and then it goes black.

#4 turkey10

turkey10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

Don't know if you saw my edit to my origanal post I might have been typing it as you replying.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

No I didn't sorry I'm on my mobile phone. If you don't have access to another monitor you can check If its the backlight or the LCD. When the screen goes black use a flashlight and hold it at an angle close to the screen. If you can see windows loading its the back light or the inverter for the LCD. Its difficult to see anything using a flashlight you may have to try different angles. If you see nothing or an external monitor does not work, first try the display switch keys ( usually a function key) and see if either turn on. If nothing shows up it could be the graphics chip

Edited by Sneakycyber, 17 June 2013 - 09:37 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

If the cooling fan is not running the computer will shut itself down or disable components to protect itself.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 turkey10

turkey10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

I did the flashlight trick and I could see windows loading. Thanks for your help so far.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:48 AM

Good news so far, Its likely one of two components the inverter board 
lokp.jpg

Or the backlight
ysfx.jpg

Both of which are cheaper then a new laptop. That would be the case if the Graphics chip overheated and  :rip: . In General when you replace the LCD it comes with a new backlight, they do not (unless specified) come with new Inverter boards. I have not replaced a individual backlight so I am not sure how much labor is involved if you have a shop do it. They may just replace the screen

Edited by Sneakycyber, 19 June 2013 - 03:49 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 turkey10

turkey10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

So would you recommend buying a new LCD screen with the inverter board? Where would I get a new screen if thats the way to go, newegg?

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

I order most of my screens from amazon.com, MLC distrubution usually has the lowest price/shipping. When you do order make sure you match the model numbers of the screens closely. If you only search for Laptop model number you may get a link to the wrong screen. 

Edit: To answer the first question I would test the laptop with an external monitor, then replace the screen if the external works

Edited by Sneakycyber, 19 June 2013 - 05:50 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#11 turkey10

turkey10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Thanks again for your help. Stupid question, how do you hook up an external monitor to a laptop? Also where would I find the model # for the screen?

Edited by turkey10, 19 June 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#12 aiidealjimai

aiidealjimai

• Banned Spammer
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:41 AM

Most Dell laptop and desktop computers will come with a handy utility already built into them for performing at least some form of basic diagnostics when you need to do a little bit of preliminary troubleshooting. This article will show you how to test the hard drive which is installed in your Dell laptop or desktop computer.

--------------------------

AiIdeal JimAi

uk number plates

number plate design

#13 turkey10

turkey10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Sneaky,

I hooked up an external monitor and it worked fine, so i am assuming the back light on the screen is bad and i need to order a new screen. What is up with the post above is that some kind of spam? Didn't look legit to me so I ignored it.

Checked MLC distrubution for a new screen, they do not have the model I need, any other places I can look that you recommend?

Edited by turkey10, 22 June 2013 - 08:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users