Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to tell if my pc is 32-bit or 64-bit?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sneaky666

sneaky666

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hi,

Someone game me this desktop to fix:
HP Pavilion a6200n PC (GN556AA) specifications - HP Home & Home Office Products

It had vista on it, but it got corrupted, and I installed windows xp professional 32-bit on it.

But it expired, and I want to install windows 7 on it. But I don't know if it was originally a 32-bit or 64-bit. Its not on the specifications page either nor on the desktop sticker. I would prefer to get the 64 bit windows 7, but I need to know if it will work on this desktop.

I was also going to run this
Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows
to tell if the pc can run windows 7.

I know you can't install a 64-bit OS on a 32-bit OS, and if I check xp settings, it will say 32-bit, but it doesn't tell me if the computer itself can handle a 64 bit OS.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.angel.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. Since the system uses an Athlon 64 processor, it will be able to run a 64 bit OS.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

With windows 7, you cannot do an upgrade from XP to 7. So your option is to do a full install, which whipes the drive, I suggest you either back up the customers files onto a thumb drive or burn them to a DVD if you can. As for 32 or 64. The only limitation is that you cannot run a 64bit OS on a 32bit CPU, though you have an antholon 64 which is a 64bit processor so you, in theory can run either 32 or 64bit windows 7. Though if you can, I would suggest 64bit. It's more secure and can handle more than 4gb of ram.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#4 sneaky666

sneaky666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Actually theres no files on the pc anways, so I dont need to worry about backing up anything.

Also the desktop originally came installed with vista, not sure if that matters anymore. I also need to do a full install, I don't want to go through a OS upgrade process.

So theres no problems, if I get windows 7 64 bit?

#5 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

I would wholeheartedly suggest you go with windows 7 64bit if you have a key for it. :D 64bit oses have progressed past the horror show that was xp 64bit (shudders) and the driver mess that was 64bit vista. 

#6 sneaky666

sneaky666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

I am making the owners of the desktop buy the OS, so I want to be extra sure it will handle it. =)

Also when installing xp, there were 3 drivers I had to download and install, one for the wireless network card, one for nvidea graphics, and one for audio, but I think the nvidia came with audio.

I also noticed that installing the latest nvidea driver from windows update messed up the screen, like it changed the colors to be unreadable, or changed the screen refresh rate to be too high that the monitor couldn't read it. So I just avoided that windows update, it was an optional one anyways. So I went with some other nvidea all in one driver which was working ok.

Will any of this messup a windows 7 64bit installation?

Edited by sneaky666, 17 June 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#7 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

I don't have much experience in trying to install xp drivers in windows 7, though I think if you go to nividia's website and select the card and OS it will give you the proper driver. If you have any problem then just post the cards model number, the wireless cards number (model number) and the the audio chipset. Ok? :D 

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

See in Device Manager if any devices still require drivers after the install. Windows 7 has native drivers for many standard devices, and once it's known if any are lacking, it's often straightforward to source suitable drivers from the device manufacturer, downloads for a later model HP computer or Microsoft Update.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 ranjeetsah426

ranjeetsah426

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

Go to computer and see their properties. When we click on computer> properties than we can see all necessary things which are in our computer IE processor, Ram, System type, etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users