Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice For Upgrading Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jawknee912

jawknee912

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:38 PM

I want to upgrade my HP Pavilion dv 1331se notebook's ram. HP's site says that it takes DDR 333 RAM. I want to know if this is just because HP is cheap and doesnt want to put DDR 400 in the notebook or if it specifically needs DDR 333. The notebook has a 512 stick in it now and i was also wondering if I could add a 1GB stick and run my system with 1.5GB of ram or if that would cause a problem. I don't know much about RAM and need some advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:52 PM

ram is funny, not funny ha ha, funny strange. your board is designed to use 333 ram, the board also dictates how much ram can be installed in the laptop. for more detailed information about the types and brands of ram, please re-visit hp's website. some laptops are VERY picky about the type of ram you put init also, compatibility is really sticky with them, so dont stray too far fom the manufacturers recommendations about brand and frequency.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:58 PM

Try e-mailing HP they can tell you the best ram to upgrade their laptops with.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:00 PM

Run Everest Home 2.2 and it will give you the spece on the memory you are currently running.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 02:07 PM

To address (no pun intended) one part of your question, PC400 (aka PC3200) memory will work just fine in a system that calls for PC333 (aka PC2700). This is analogous to putting premium gas in a car that calls for regular. It sure doesn't hurt, but it doesn't make the car run better either. Nowadays PC400/PC3200 is much more available than PC333/PC2700 and so costs less. Such is the computer industry that older parts actually become more expensive over time than newer faster parts due to the older parts going out of production.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users