Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitoring My Teenager's Cell - Any Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stillanovice

stillanovice

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hello!

My teenager will have a phone soon - what do you suggest for us, as parents, to use for monitoring purposes?    The phone will be a Verizon LG Cosmos 2.  We want to keep an eye on everything - calls, texting in and out, facebook, pictures, you name it.  Based on what I've been hearing from other parents, it could turn into a full-time job for a parent to monitor their child in cyberspace.  Help!! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

From this article: http://www.theonlinemom.com/secondary.asp?id=635

https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/nos/safeguards/safeguardLandingPage.action

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

In addition to regulating text messaging you can also check with the Verizon to see if they will totally block texting. If your teen does enough texting that it adds to your bill this could be an option to use and maybe teach him/her about limits.

I know at one time texting could be totally blocked because my daughter requested that it be done on her Verizon phone because she got tired of getting text messages. I called and got them blocked. At the time she had not been driving for very long and it put my mind at ease because she would not be tempted to text and drive.

Also, that phone does not require a data plan. Since you are concerned about internet usage on the phone you can always say no to a data plan.

If you have the family share plan he/she may be able to access the internet from the phone, in which case you will have to closely monitor what your child does.

You can also monitor phone calls by signing in to your Verizon wireless account online if you have set that up.
Click View Usage under Account Management on the left side of the page.

Choose the number you want to view usage for then click View Call Details. There will be a list of placed and received calls. It only gives the number so you may have to find out who those numbers belong to.

You can also see how many texts he/she is sending and receiving. This is useful if there is no text plan and there is charge for each one. If there is a text plan you can monitor to make sure the child does not go over the number of texts allowed.

Yes it is a full time job to monitor what children do. The best advice I can offer to sit down with your child, explain the limits and what the consequences for misuse will be. While parents want to trust there children to do the right thing they also have to earn that trust. As I told my daughter as long as I pay the bill for her cell phone I had the right to go through it to monitor her cell phone usage. Back then I didn't have to worry about net usage because we did not have that.

I'm glad my daughter is grown and on her own now so I don't have to do any monitoring.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 June 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#4 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

Thank you so much for BOTH answers!!  We have had the discussion about electronics as a whole and then the pros/cons of each individual concern (texting/facebook/youtube/instagram/ on and on).  We have explained the consequences of misuse.  Unfortunately, she sees her classmates making "friends" with people online, and she thinks that it's normal to call a stranger online a "friend."  Sadly, there are too many parents out there who use the electronics as a way to "babysit" their children, and the rest of the parents who are trying to do the right thing end up paying the price.  I don't want to have to make reading her texts a habit, but I want to be able to have the option to check here and there to be sure all is on the "up and up."

Parenting can be a minefield .....  :)

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Parents don't want to be accused of "snooping". Unfortunately in today's world you do have to "snoop" in order to keep your child safe. Teens think nothing will happen to them. The best teacher is experience and teens just do not have the level of life experience that adults have.

Good luck with it.

#6 Meredith_80

Meredith_80

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:18 AM

I'm not sure, whether my reply will still be useful... I'm the mother of a rather problematic teenage boy and I am using monitoring app (I use Appmia app - it suits my purpose the most) for my son's cell phone. I know, it may be concidered unethical and blah-blah. However, when it comes to the safety of my child I thinks such method is absolutely okay. I think it might be helpful for parents like me.

#7 FindTheWay

FindTheWay

• Banned Spammer
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:13 AM

there are many spy apps just google

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users