Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erratic mouse behavior with external mouse or touchpad on HP laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 amn70

amn70

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

Troubleshooting a fairly new HP laptop. Had been infected with a virus. Cleaned it all up but was experiencing erratic mouse behavior. The customer claimed the behavior started when he got hit with infection. While the pointer itself moves fine the left and right mouse buttons intermittently act like they are being held down causing the pointer to drag and highlight everything in site. At other times the buttons do nothing at all. At other times the left mouse button triggers a rightclick menu. And at other moments all mouse control is fine. This occurs equally on the touchpad or when using an external USB mouse. I tried disabling the touchpad completely but the problem still occurs when using the external mouse. I tried updating the sypatics touchpad driver but that made no difference either. I finally resorted to wiping and completely reinstalling windows but the problem still persists. For the hell of it I then updated the BIOS firmware but that made no difference either. All keyboard function work fine so I have been having to resort to using the arrow keys and alt tab and such to navigate around. I ran a Passmark Burn in Test and everything passed. 

A couple of additional points. I ran the Hirens Boot CD which is similar to the Ultimate Boot CD. I then booted into the Mini Windows XP and the same erratic mouse behavior occured so this is clearly not an operating system issue. Also when I wiped and reloaded Windows I used the HP Recovery partition and ran their recovery operation. Their recovery GUI also has mouse capability and I experienced the same erratic mouse behavior there.

Not sure where to go from here. Seems to be some sort of motherboard issue. Wanted some other opinions in case I am missing something.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

Try a different mouse?

Uninstall, then replace...mouse/touchpad drivers?

Louis

#3 amn70

amn70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

If you read my post I not only did all of that already but I also wiped and completely reinstalled Windows. This problem is clearly not a driver issue or a physical mouse issue, This problem seems to be associated with the touchpad or the motherboard although disabling the touchpad does not stop the problem from occuring.

Try a different mouse?

Uninstall, then replace...mouse/touchpad drivers?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users