Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

customize or edit tiles on start screen?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Butterfly

Blue Butterfly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

I really like the convenience of the start screen in windows 8  ... the computer is finally starting to think in images like I do!  However, all the tiles seem to look alike.  For instance, any web page shortcut that I pin to the start page mostly just has writing on it and looks similar to any other tile.  Can I edit the tile to have a picture?  I have several shortcuts to web pages of friends and would like to put a photo of them so that I can quickly see the difference.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kram B

Kram B

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

This is the only program I know.

You can edit some things, but not all.  I knew of a program that let you change the icon pack of the tiles, but I have forgotten it.

Mind you, you will have to change the extension of this from .ex_ to .exe.

#3 Blue Butterfly

Blue Butterfly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

Thank you for replying.  One question ... how do I change the extension of a file in Windows 8?  I have been using computers since DOS 2 but the easier the interface gets, the more hidden the "nuts and bolts" are ... go figure.  Also, when asked what program I want to open the file with, which one do I choose?

#4 Kram B

Kram B

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

Thank you for replying.  One question ... how do I change the extension of a file in Windows 8?  I have been using computers since DOS 2 but the easier the interface gets, the more hidden the "nuts and bolts" are ... go figure.  Also, when asked what program I want to open the file with, which one do I choose?

Right click it>rename>change ".ex_" to ".exe".

#5 Blue Butterfly

Blue Butterfly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

Apparently the problem exists before I can actually change the file extension.  it is a type 7z file that I was not familiar with.  After doing some research I found that it is a zipped file but my computer wants to use either IE or WordPad to open it.  Is there a zip/unzip program in Windows 8 or do I have to download apps for every little thing I need to do in this OS? 

Also, FYI ... while researching I have found some free software on the web that may be just the thing I am looking for to solve the tile problem.  I am new to this website so I am not sure whether or not putting a link is considered advertising.  There is a software I will be downloading to try and I would like to be able to write a review if I find it to be what I need.

Edited by Blue Butterfly, 18 June 2013 - 07:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users