Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Probs With Ie Being Disabled

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 loralynne

loralynne

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:31 PM

I have a problem with my INternet Explorer being disabled, it will not connect to the web, I keep getting
"invaled syntax error", but when i am in "safe" mode the IE works find, but no sound,
when i am using MOzilla to connect to the internet, (witch is fine with me but-) I can't view "streaming video" and I get a error called "dwwin.exe error".
I have ran several scans and test and don't know what eles to do, any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer. First thing Internet Explorer should not be disabled. You are going to need it for accurately doing Windows Update and it is incorporated into the Windows Operating systems.

I do not know what version of Internet Explorer you are running or what Windows Operating System you are running but I would suggest re-installing IE to the most current version you can get.

I would suggest this link for this:

http://support.microsoft.com/ie6?sid=204

have a good Easter.

#3 loralynne

loralynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:43 PM

Thank you Thor,
What I mean by IE being disabled is that it can not open itself and connect to the world wide web, so anyway
I will try re-installing IE, with the link you provided and see what happens next, but I still don't know why I can't watch "streaming" live video through Mozilla, I would like to watch a live horse race, and the buffer wont' load, I get a DWWIN error????
I can watch it in "safe" mode, but no volume....
Thanks again...
Happy Easter!!!!

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:58 PM

Hello I am sorry for missing that part of the question. With Firefox there are several things that might have to be installed one is a program by Macromedia I believe it is Flash Player usually Firefox asks far this to be installed if it is not. The other thing is codecs for sound and video. The codec can be downloaded from this link.

http://www.codecpackguide.com/klcodec.htm

this should solve your problems and if the installation tells you something about digitally signatures click to install anyway it will not hurt anything. After installing reboot the computer and give it a try.

The thing about IExplorer is that when someone says it is disabled to me that means not running because it might have been uninstalled. The codecs will work with IE also.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:02 PM

Oh One other thing if you still have problems with the sound after installing the codecs I would suggest checking the sound drivers in Device Manager and psosibly re-installing them. But if the sound works ok during normal usage of your system operation they should be ok but check them out anyway and if there are any triangles that are yellow with black exclamation marks or red circles with a line thru them there is a problem.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:05 PM

I would recommend posting a Hijackthis! log in our Hijack forum. You may have had your browser messed up by malware. This could be anything from a corrupted Hosts file to the wrong font in IE. Some tips: don't try fixing anything with Hijack yourself. Read this first. Do not reply to your own post because the team looks for posts with no replies first. And please be patient, there are a lot of logs and few helpers.

#7 loralynne

loralynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for all advice,
I just downloaded the "codecs" and that did not work,
so I am now going to re-install IE to the newest version, and
give that a try, I def know this has started as a Malware prob, but
I thought I had cleaned it all out, not sure, after downloading the EI
I will post a highjack report...
Thanks again, you are all very kind... :thumbsup:

Edited by loralynne, 15 April 2006 - 04:55 PM.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

You need to be sure you have the malware infection totally removed from your system before doing anything else.

Seeing that Mozilla (Firefox?) works except for streaming video you should use it to download Hijack This and post its log in our Hijack This Forum.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in one folder may be fine while in another may be malware.

A member of our HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make it different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria they have when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log to work on might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, make your post and wait for a response from a team member.

Once that is completed and you know your system is clean, then repairing IE and downloading the proper plugin for Mozilla to view the type of streaming video you want to see would be in order.

#9 loralynne

loralynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

Ok, again a bigger problem,
the Hijack this log sais that there is no problems
to make a report for , or no 'susp" activity, so of course
I am at a loss..

The Internet Explorer still gets shut down....
Happy Easter all!!!!!

#10 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:08 PM

Hello, THe Hijack log has to be posted here for it to be read by the folks that know what to look for. I am afraid that it doesn't say everything's OK. If it does it will be a first time, I ran it on my system and found a problem and I have not been trained to read it. Please copy and paste the log file contents here so it can be checked out properly. It is the only way your system is going to get fixed. There is another way but I do not think you want to do a full recovery and go back to day one.

#11 loralynne

loralynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:34 AM

When I scan the Hijack this, it sais; "no suspicious items found" and I can't get a report out, to show you,
that is all it sais...
When I try to use IE it just acts like there is no hook-up to the internet, but IE works fine and has no connect probs when in "Safe" mode, I have ran several Iwido reports and it finally said "zero" probs found, but IE is still not working...
(I am now online in Mozilla-in "reg" mode)

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:30 AM

I'm not sure what you're using, but it isn't Hijack This. Hijack This never gives a message saying no suspicious items found.

This is the link to download Hijack This. I think you may have inadvertantly downloaded another program that was advertised in the Google Ads on the same page.

Download this file to your desktop and double-click on it. Click on Unzip, and then click Close. It will automatically extract to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.

Open Windows Explorer (Windows Key and E key at the same time) and on the left pane find Program Files and expand it with the plus sign (+) then HijackThis, double-click on the HijackThis icon in that folder, and the program will run. Click on the button that will run a scan and save a logfile. When it's finished scanning (doesn't take long) it will open a Notepad file. Copy the contents of the Notepad file by going to Edit -> Select All and then Edit -> Copy. Then paste that into a post in the Hijack This forum. Do not attempt to fix anything yourself. Do not reply to your own post because they look for posts with no replies first.

#13 loralynne

loralynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:17 PM

Maybe this will help, it is the only log I can get to cut and paste, I am at a loss....StartupList report,

4/17/2006, 2:14:24 PM
StartupList version: 1.52.2
Started from : C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.EXE
Detected: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Detected: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
* Using default options
==================================================

Running processes:

C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

--------------------------------------------------

Checking Windows NT UserInit:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
UserInit = C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe,

Shell & screensaver key from C:\WINNT\SYSTEM.INI:

Shell=*INI section not found*
SCRNSAVE.EXE=*INI section not found*
drivers=*INI section not found*

Shell & screensaver key from Registry:

Shell=Explorer.exe
SCRNSAVE.EXE=C:\WINNT\System32\logon.scr
drivers=*Registry value not found*

Policies Shell key:

HKCU\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry value not found*
HKLM\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry value not found*

Enumerating Task Scheduler jobs:

Symantec NetDetect.job

Enumerating Download Program Files:

[Shockwave Flash Object]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINNT\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash8.ocx
CODEBASE = http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa...ash/swflash.cab

Enumerating ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad items:

PostBootReminder: C:\WINNT\system32\SHELL32.dll
CDBurn: C:\WINNT\system32\SHELL32.dll
WebCheck: C:\WINNT\System32\webcheck.dll
SysTray: C:\WINNT\System32\stobject.dll
UPnPMonitor: C:\WINNT\System32\upnpui.dll

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run

xjdxvpmhg.exe = C:\WINNT\system\xjdxvpmhg.exe

End of report, 2,959 bytes
Report generated in 0.016 seconds

Command line options:
/verbose - to add additional info on each section
/complete - to include empty sections and unsuspicious data
/full - to include several rarely-important sections
/force9x - to include Win9x-only startups even if running on WinNT
/forcent - to include WinNT-only startups even if running on Win9x
/forceall - to include all Win9x and WinNT startups, regardless of platform
/history - to list version history only

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:30 PM

Please read this tutorial:
How to post a HijackThis Log

Then got to the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum, and post your log.
Do not post it, in this topic.
Here is the link:
HijackThis Logs and Analysis
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 loralynne

loralynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:36 PM

I thank you all for your help, I got help with the "Hijack this" log,
but now have a problem I keep getting a popup that sais "regfixes.com" it is somehow downloaded into
my computer, and I can't get rid of it, other then that, all seems to be fine now, YAAAA!
(fingers crossed of course)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users