Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

alternative but portable zip/archive tool need any Vista configuring?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:38 AM

Would configuring of any kind in Windows Vista need to be changed if I were to "unpack" a PORTABLE, alternative archiving/zipping tool, a program that would not need formal installation?  Since using something like WinZip or ZipGenius would be insalled and Vista has its own archive/zip capability, there is some reconfiguring needing to be done about the presence of such a tool; but what about if we would use a portable tool instead of one of the kind needing an installer?  Would any configuring be needed in Windows Vista?  (IZArc2Go, the portable version is what I'm considering).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,808 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Why not just set WinZip as the default program.

Click on the start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then click on Default Programs.  

Detailed information for this can be found at the Windows website.

Edited by dc3, 17 June 2013 - 09:32 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

Why not just set WinZip as the default program.

Click on the start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then click on Default Programs.  

Detailed information for this can be found at the Windows website.

The goal is to use a portable zip tool, and to not install a zip tool.  IZArc2Go is portable and can be used from a usb flash drive.

#4 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:08 AM

Well *.zip is already supported in vista ... I have to assume that you need features beyond zip such as rar and 7z.  I would recommend 7zip as a portable... downsides to using it from a folder are that none of it's dll are registered so you have to open its filemanager first.  And none of .zip, rar, or 7z will open automatically unless you register all those extensions with 7zip (or your manager of choice) but thats why you *install* those programs in the first place.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:51 AM

So the answer to my question is, "No". 

If I want to use IZArc2Go portably, then I would need to make changes to Window Vista Registry but I do not want that; so I would have to install some regular installable zip tool such as WinZip or the regular IZArc.  This would be needed because of the stated need (from AngryRaisin) to have dll's registered. 

I have tried 7zip a couple of times on Windows XP and 98, and I really do not like the tool.  I would rather stay with Vista's own zip/archive functionality than use 7zip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users