Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LaCie (external hardrive) - Can't access folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Derek_Roberts

Derek_Roberts

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:10 AM

I accidentley dragged my pictures to what I believe is a system folder. Now I can't open my pictures and get a message "Access is denied" and folder now say 0 bytes.

Have I lost my pictures or is there a way for me to get them back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

I have a 250 Gb Lacie USB drive which is routinely used for storing photos and transferring them from my wife's laptop to my desktop. You have just made me go and look at it in Windows Explorer and yes, it has a 'System Volume Information' folder, but I can double click on it in Windows Explorer and it opens like any other folder to show other folder inside it, which also can be opened. As far as I am aware, I have not given myself any special administrative privileges.

Do you have Windows Explorer set to show 'Hidden files, folders and drives' ?  If not, then click on 'Organise' in the top left hand corner, then 'Folder and Search options', then in the dialogue box that appears, choose 'View' and click on 'Show hidden folders and drives' . This will normally bring up a warning message, click 'Continue' or 'Yes'. There is the risk that if you can see things you can affect them badly !  You can always reset this later.

If this allows you to see your 'Photos' folder, just drag it back to to the top level, and you should have gained access to them again.

To access Windows Explorer, if you are running Win 7 you should have an icon for it on the taskbar. If not, and this is the same for XP, right click on the start button and you will see either - Win 7 - 'Start Windows Explorer', or - XP - 'Explore'. Click on this and you are into it.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Derek_Roberts

Derek_Roberts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Ok, thanks

That was the first thing I did but still couldn't access them. I probably lost them but with just take it in to double check.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

If you can't find these files at all, it might be worth running 'Recuva' on the drive. It's a file recovery program from Piriform and is quite effective at recovering lost / deleted files. You can get it from :-

www.piriform.com/recuva

and it's free !  So long as the sectors have not been over-written it can work quite well.

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users