Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem while the installation of Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jacksonbird03

jacksonbird03

• Banned Spammer
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:33 AM

Hello Friends,

How are you all ????

I have a problem with windows XP...

While the installation of the Windows XP it shows an error message that "asms file is needed"...

Please help what I will do to recover this error...

Thank you in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:16 AM

http://twigstechtips.blogspot.com/2009/09/file-on-windows-xp-professional-cd-rom.html

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

One of the causes for this message is a problem of you CD-ROM being seen by the system.  This is why ranchhand has made the suggestion to delete the upper and lower filters in the registry.

What is not mentioned is that this is a registry edit which if it is done incorrectly can damage the registry resulting in your computer being inoperable.  Because of this I would highly recommend that you back up the registry with a program like ERUNT.  

The instruction at the site ranchhand provided the link to is a paraphrased version of the Microsoft Support version which includes complete instructions.  

I will post the instructions which Microsoft Support provides.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
Log on to Windows by using an account that has administrator rights and permissions. Then, follow these steps.

Caution:  The following instructions will involve making changes in the registry, because of the potential danger of damaging the registry with an improper entry, it is important that you back up the registry before starting the registry changes.  Use the following instructions to back up the registry.

Step 1: Start Registry Editor
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor starts.

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.

6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.

Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.

6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
8. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart the computer

If a CD recording program no longer works after you restart the computer, you must reinstall the CD recording program.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users