Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i5-4670K vs Xeon E3-1230 v2

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kd2013

kd2013

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

I'm building a day trading computer, if the price is the same i5-4670K vs Xeon E3-1230 v2 ($199+tax at microcenter) which would you buy? Microcenter has intel bundle deals that I'm hoping they'll let me have if I pick the xeon since they're selling both processors for the same price I think it's reasonable to ask for the substitue. I read a few reviews but I still can't decide between the two processors. The i5 4670K can be overclocked which seems like its only significant advantage (it also has on board graphics which do not matter in my case because I will need to purchase a gpu to run 4-6 monitors). The Xeon E3 1230v2 has hyperthreading, a larger level 3 cache (2MB) and has 8 threads (vs 4 in the i5 4670k) and runs at lower wattage. When it comes to standard clock rates, xeon E3 1230v2 is 3.3ghz and 3.7 in turbo, the i5 4670k is 3.4, turbo 3.8 and overclock "safely" in the 4.4-4.7ghz range. This will be my first build and for the first few weeks I'll probably just run either of them  in turbo and not do any overclocking if I get the 4670k. I'm a little worried that if I get the 4670k that it might have heating problems during overclocking taking away it's only advantage (plue I kow I'll have t spend more on the system to cool it overlock and also maintain it)

http://ark.intel.com/compare/65732,75048

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

bundle is intel i5 4670k & msi z870g41 pc mate for $260 ($282 after tax) so I plan on going and either getting this bundle, or asking them to substitute and get xeon e3 1230v2

i'd get the 3570k because it's $10 cheaper but out of stock at the nearest microcenter location, not worth driving farther for an extra $10...so I have to decide if I should get the advertised bundle or ask for a substitute. both processors seem good and the $260 ($282 after tax) deal seems like a good price. I've been dragging my feet waiting for deals, and seem to miss them when they do happen, I need to finish getting the parts so that I can start the build

Edited by kd2013, 17 June 2013 - 12:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users