Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows acting erraticaly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Foxtrot2112

Foxtrot2112

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

Good Day,

Some days ago I was backing up my iphone as I was moving to a Galaxy S4.
When looking for the location of the backup file I unhid some folders and then by mistake I changed something in properties, not sure what.

Not sure if related to the above, but afterwards the following started happening:

- Cannot open Outlook, says it's connecting to server and it hangs, so does Skype and IE 10 (AppHangXProcB1 and/or AppHang B1)

- Unable to run anything at the start menu i.e. run, msconfig, etc. I get a message that says: '' Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file'', you may not have the appropiate permission.

-Cannot do a proper system restore, Windows suggest it could be because of the antivirus (Bitdefender 2012), but I don't think so.

I can do anything with Firefox, that's why I think the problem is Windows related.

I did run Malwarebytes, Spybot and a full system scan with Bitdefender, all clean in that department.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rod

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

Try this reset first -

To reset Internet Explorer settings back to IE 9 to solve problems.

1. Close all Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.

2. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.

3. Click the Tools button Picture of the Tools button, and then click Internet options.

4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

Select the Delete personal settings check box if you would also like to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data.

5. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.

6. When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, click Close, and then click OK.

7. Close Internet Explorer.

Your changes will take effect the next time you open Internet Explorer.

Regards -

#3 Foxtrot2112

Foxtrot2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

HI,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately everytime I try to open IE or other programs as per my original message, the computer hangs.

I cannot do any searched from the star menu either.

I tried to upgrade to Win 8 thinking this could fix the issue but I have not been able to get the upgrade assistant to work.

#4 Foxtrot2112

Foxtrot2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

I thought that upgrading to Win 8 would solve the problem, well, it didn't.
I created another user account and seems that will fix the problem.

1-Anyone know if user profiles can become corrupted ?

2-Can  I merge 2 user accounts ?

Thanks

#5 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:17 AM

Yes, user profiles can become corrupted (is this easily fixed? usually not - it can happen from moving directories/files, changing permissions, registries, viruses and so on and so forth).

Can you merge 2 user accounts - yes - depending on how much was damaged you may want to limit what you bring over.  Your documents, pictures, music folders are the most safe (in my opinion) to move or copy over.  In the hidden appdata folder there are user specific program setting, email items (if you use a program such as Outlook, Windows Mail, or Thunderbird) bookmarks from Firefox and such - THIS WOULD BE LESS SAFE TO MOVE OR COPY OVER - I would rather find the Outlook pst file in the appdata folder and import it into the New Users Outlook & recreate the email settings to minimize problems.

#6 Foxtrot2112

Foxtrot2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Thanks Raisin.

I was thinking that I should only move those and I found a pretty easy way to do it,.

From windows explorer in user 2 I access the original user 1 and just move files.

Kind of a silly question, but what happens once I move everything and I delete user 1 ?

#7 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:13 AM

Once you are sure you have everything you want out of the bad user profile go into the control panel and users and delete the user.. then go into c:\users and delete the leftover folder (sometimes you have to 'take ownership' to delete) ... nothing bad happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users