Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP-Can't boot: Black screen, tried recovery, didn't work

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lakegrl

lakegrl

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

My Windows XP desktop won't boot - it goes to a completely black screen.
Here is a description of what I just tried:

BOOT ATTEMPT 1
GOES TO:  Windows logo splash screen for a few moments,
Then BLACK SCREEN
Waited for for 5 minutes, then hard powered off.

BOOT ATTEMPT 2
Restarted, hit F8
GOES TO:  Safe mode selection Screen
>SAFE MODE
>Start Windows Recovery Console
Hanging on “Starting Windows Recovery Console”…
Waited for for 5 minutes, then hard powered off.
Hard powered off.

BOOT ATTEMPT 3
Restarted, hit f8
>SAFE MODE
>Start Windows XP Home Edition
Screen filled with lines starting:
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\sysstem32\DRIVERS\....
[screenshot  1]

Hard powered off.

BOOT ATTEMPT 4
Restarted, hit f8
>Last Known Good Configuration
>Start Windows XP Home Edition
GOES TO: Windows logo splash screen for a few moments, then to
Black screen for a minutes or so, with some flashes,
Momentarily saw Blue startup screen, then  to Safe mode selection screen
>Safe mode with Command prompt
Added line: 
Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice:
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\sysstem32\DRIVERS\....
[screenshot  2]

Arrow keys wouldn’t move
Hard powered off.

I would appreciate any help!  I don't have the ability to burn a recovery disk, but I do have original Windows XP installation disks.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2013 - 03:46 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 lakegrl

lakegrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

Hi Louis,

HP Pavilion a1020n

Since posting, I was able to create ar recovery CD using ARCDC from Artellos, which didn't do any good:

Selected R for recovery

Recovery console:  Selected 3: C:\WINDOWS

Program hung.

Hard restart

Selected R for recovery

Recovery console:  Selected 3: C:\WINDOWS

BLUE SCREEN  Stop error code 0x0000000A (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)" error message in Windows XP

Hard restart

Selected ENTER for installation

"Setup canot find the EULA, cannot continue, to quit press F3."

Rebooted.

F10 to get to BIOS SETUP UTILITY

SAVE configuration changes and exit now?

Cancel

SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND, then RECOVERY CONSOLE – without DISK.

Finally got to command prompt:

>Chkdsk /r

CURRENT STATUS:  It has been running the chkdsk for AGES....is currently at 65% complete.  I swear it was at 67% one time, then reverted to 61%.

#4 lakegrl

lakegrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Louis,

Short version:  finally finished running the chkdsk, result:  CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume.

Tried various ways to reboot, but still had the same issues as before.  I can give you specifics if you like.

At one point, it got past the windows splash screen, to a light blue Windows XP screen:

"Checking file system on C:

The type of the file system is NTFS.  Volume label is HP_Pavilion

One of yuur disks needs to be checked for consistency.  You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.

Windows will not check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)

File verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)

Index verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors    (stage 3 of 3)

Security descriptors completed

Windows has checked the sectors and found no problems…."

Rebooted automatically…

Splash screen…hung there….

Tried various ways of rebooting.  Same problems.

Finally got back to a command prompt.  

Tried FIXMBR and FIXBOOT but was scared off by the warnings.

Right now I'm staring at C:|> and wondering what to do??

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:47 AM

Hello Lakegrl, sorry to hear of your problem. I suggest that we test your hard drive and memory to verify those aren't the problem. Unfortunately you will need to burn two CDs, so you will have to find another computer to do this. Be sure your BIOS is set to CD=1st boot device, Hard Drive=2nd boot device;

Download Seatools For DOS (free) from my link; in the site screen, click "DOWNLOADS" tab, then "Seatools For DOS". Burn it to a CD. Reboot with it in your drive. In the screen that appears, first check that SMART has (or has not) been tripped. Then click the upper left corner of the screen for the short test and let it run. It will notify you either Pass or Fail. This is from Seagate Corp. but will test all other drives, not just Seagate. Do this test first. I don't think your problem is memory, but it's easy to test.

Download Memtest 86+ , the "precompiled Bootable ISO (zip)" file (free) from my link; burn it to a CD. Reboot with the CD in your DVD drive. You will see the screen appear and the testing will automatically start. When it has completed all the tests, the message "press key to exit" will appear. Any errors found will be listed, even one error means that stick of memory is bad. I suggest testing each stick separately if you have more than one installed.

Also: do you have the XP operating system disks, a restore disk, or only a restore partition (on your hard drive) on that computer?

Let us know the results.

Edited by ranchhand_, 17 June 2013 - 06:50 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

HP Black Screen, White Arrow - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00254484&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1817973

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=nph00225

Louis

#7 lakegrl

lakegrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

I had problems getting either the Seagate or Memtest disks that I burned to work (figured that out later - wasn't using a good program to make bootable disks).   So I got frustrated, and found a Windows XP Home SP2 operating disk and tried to do a repair, without success, so I went back to setup and made the selections below in RED:
Install.
Setup:  H: Partition1 <HP_RECOVERY>  [FAT32]   7789 MB
C:  Partition2 <HP_PAVILION>  [NTFS]   182990 MB

Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick)
Format the partition using the NTFS file system
Leave the current file system intact (no changes)

It started the setup. copying files, etc. and I went to work.  Checked at 2 pm and it said:

Setup is copying files….25%   copying:
Mdwmdmsp.dll  

At 7 pm, it was still there.

I stopped it with a hard re-boot, went to BIOS, made sure it was booting to the CD/Rom drive, and got the following error:

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Finally got the Windows operating system CD to run – again, went to setup, did R for repair:  hung at
Examining 190780 MD Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi…

I figured out how to burn bootable disks and downloaded and ran the Windows Diagnostic Tool, and it found zero errors.
Ran Memtest 86+ v 4.20.   It hung on Test #7, with zero errors.[screenshot attached]

I could spend another day or so trying to re-run Memtest, but since it didn't find any errors, should I try something else?

Attached Files

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

>Did you run the Seagate Seatools hard drive diagnostic? Very important.

>I am very surprised that the Memtest hung...I can't remember the last time that happened. It is important that Memtest finish until you get the "completed" message. It's beginning to sound like a hardware problem.

>Did you follow up on Hamluis suggestions?

>Do you have data on your hard drive that you want to save? At this point don't try to reinstall Windows again if so.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 lakegrl

lakegrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

Ranchhand:

I didn't try the Seagate - I can do that this evening if important

I did try Hamluis' suggestions

There is nothing on the hard drive that I want to save.

I do not have anything on the hard drive to save.  At this point, I am considering installing Ubuntu (or something similar) - I have never used it before, but I just want an operable PC to use for internet surfing, and/or as a media center!  But when I started to read about installing Ubuntu, I became confused about whether I also needed an operable Windows system....

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

Yes, running the Seagate utility is very important. We eliminate each major component 1X1 until we find the problem, and right now we have not conclusively tested the memory and hard disk drive (HDD). Memtest crashed (extremely strange) and the HDD has not yet been tested. At this point and in the condition your computer is you will not be able to install Ubuntu or anything else. When we get this straightened out my suggestion is to stick with the operating system you understand (XP or Windows 7). Ubuntu is Open Source and is a great system, but for the average user it can be formidable to learn.

So... Homework for tonight (oh,joy!): Run the Seagate utility, and try Memtest one more time. Post back with results.

Just FYI.... Seagate Corporation is one of the major manufacturers of computer storage drives in the world, and this is their tester. It is very powerful because it can test your HDD without Windows being booted because is runs from your DVD player.

Edited by ranchhand_, 18 June 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#11 lakegrl

lakegrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

Ranchhand:

I just ran Seatools:  Short test:  DST completed without error

I made a new Memtest disk and ran it.  this time it froze at 2% Test #0 [Address test, walking ones].  Repeated and froze at the same place.

Checked BIOS.  Reset all to default, changed to boot from CD

Re-started Memtest:Froze again at test 2%

Tried rebooting with Windows XP disk, selected Repair

Ran chkdsk /r

Stopped at 50% completed

Started Seatools one more time (from DVD drive): Short test:  DST completed without error

Should I run the long test on Seatools...or?

BTW, when I get the black screen, there is no flashing white cursor.  Just black.

Thanks!

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

The long test...is more comprehensive and accurate...please run the long test.

Louis

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

Yes, I agree with Louis. Run the long test.

Question: the specs from HP on your computer indicate integrated video on the motherboard (IOW the video card is actually "wired" into the motherboard). Did you ever have a separate, standalone video card installed in your computer, or are you using it with the stock integrated video?

>Other than the problem we are discussing, when you start up the computer does it sound "normal"? Are all the fans spinning up or is one not operating? Check that air is coming out of both vents on the rear of the computer.

Edited by ranchhand_, 20 June 2013 - 11:30 PM.

#14 lakegrl

lakegrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

Ranchhand and Hamluis:

I ran the Seatools yesterday.  The first time it froze at 92%, showing zero errors (screenshot attached).  Note that it shows the temp at 26 (79).

I ran it again, and it froze at 15%, again showing zero errors.  The screenshot shows a weird error message at the top left of the screen.

Note that in the detailed image in the third screenshot, the temperature is 40 (104).

I will have to check the vents.  I could defnitely hear at least one running.  In the past (when still operable) there were times when the fans would become quite loud.

As far as the videocard - I don't know.  This PC was purchased and initially owned by my ex-boyfriend.

Attached Files

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

The failure of the diagnostic to complete...points to a hardware problem. I am moving this topic to Internal Hardware for further assistance.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users