Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot, beeps after windows reinstall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cooperw68

cooperw68

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

6 months ago I got this Gateway computer with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to reinstall windows to clean up my computer. I did this with the new "reinstall and reset" win 8 feature. Instantly after starting this my screen wentblack and my computer started beeping once short every 30 seconds or so. I have integrated gfx and an actual gfx card. After taking the card out it still beeps but now it says "Gateway" "preparing automattic repair", but its been saying that all day. I don't know what to do. Can anyone help? Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cooperw68

cooperw68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

I also reseatted the ram and battery, but it didn't fix it.

#3 Comptech72

Comptech72

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Try removing the Graphics card, sounds like you have two graphics cards installed.secondly try removing the memory and adding one stick and rebooting the computer if the beeps do not happen continue to install another stick and reboot until the beeps start. more then likely its a bad memory stick or your graphics card

#4 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

Beep codes like this are normally indications of defective memory. I'd try booting the system with no RAM installed to see if you get the same boot code, and then trying the module(s) one at a time to see what results you get. Failing RAM can certainly produce symptoms that can mimic issues you would see with bad video, a bad HDD, and other problems. So, I'm  going with bad memory.

Edited by slgrieb, 02 July 2013 - 04:52 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users