Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No supported wireless adapters are installed in this system

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gwenroe

gwenroe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

No supported wireless adapters are installed on this system.

Hello. This morning I needed to look something up on my laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad - Windows 7) and my Internet wasn't working. I know it's not the network because I am connected to it by wifi on my iPhone. When I click Fn + F5 it says the error message "No supported wireless adapters (802.11, WAN or Bluetooth) are installed in this system." When I click the Access Connections on my taskbar the "Wifi" thing cannot be selected, only "other connections." This has never happened. Can someone help me? Thanks so much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

edit to add: You can probably ignore the references to the wireless key on the keyboard and wireless adapter being enabled. I originally posted my reply in one of your Windows 7 topics about this issue which did not contain the error message you are receiving. I merged my reply into this topic and deleted the other two topics.

It is possible that your wireless adapter could be failing or has failed. However, before you panic to much let's check some other things first.

Does your laptop have a wireless key on it? (on mine it's on the F12 key) If it does make sure that key is enabled. Going back to my laptop it has a white dot on the key if wireless is enabled. If disabled the dot is orange.

Is your wireless adapter enabled? You can check by going to Control Panel/Network & Sharing Center.
On the left side of the page click Change adapter settings.
Look at the icon for your wireless connection. If it says Disabled RIGHT click the connection and choose Enable.

If neither of those works check your wireless adapter drivers. You may need to (re) install them.

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Device Manager.
Under Network Adapters what do you see your wireless adapter? Is anything next to it? (it's been a while since I've seen this but it should be a yellow triange with ! in it if the drivers are not installed).

If you don't see anything next to it there is one thing you can try. Right click on the wireless adapter in Device Manager. Choose Uninstall. Confirm the uninstall. Reboot your computer. Windows should find the device and install generic Windows drivers for the adapter.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 June 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#3 gwenroe

gwenroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

I actually just turned my laptop on a couple of hours later and everything was back to normal (strange). Maybe the wireless adapter just needed some rest? I had left my laptop on all night playing music for me... I don't know if that could have affected it. Just in case this happens again though, I will keep this in mind, especially that last bit of info because I had already tried the wireless key as well as Control Panel/Network & Sharing (there was nothing to enable, there was no icon for my wireless connection). Anyway, thank you so much for your help and have an awesome night! It's great that some people are willing to help others with computer problems for free  :thumbup2:

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

I'm glad it got sorted out.

#5 gwenroe

gwenroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

Hello again. Turned on my computer and the same thing happened. No connection, no ability to connect, same message when I try.

When I go to network and sharing the only network is "local area connection" and the only option that network is "disable" there is no enable.
As for the device manager under network adapters I have "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" and when I try to update it, it says "windows has determined the driver software is already up to date".

Is my wireless adapter failing? I am so grateful for any help or advice.

#6 gwenroe

gwenroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

Something new has just popped up under my network adapters, Intel® Wifi Link 1000 BGN. Is that the one? It has an "!" Beside it but Windows says the driver is up to date again. In Properties/General it says "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (code 12). If you want to use this device you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system." What can I disable?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users