Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop not powering on

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ben545

ben545

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

I have an HP laptop that has been acting up over the past few days.  After I got back from a few days of not using it and trying to turn it on it froze on the HP screen, pressing and holding the power button and restarting made it boot.  The next day it refused to boot, this time I took it apart and it booted, but hung when shutting down.  It got all the way to shutting the wireless off but would not shut down without holding the power button.  Today then I tried to rearrange the RAM and took it apart again.  It started today and hung on the HP logo once or twice and then it turned on but went to a black screen, no HP logo.  After a reset (no AC, Batt. Press and hold power) all of the power lights that show that the computer is on blinked, the first time it blinked about 2 times then rebooted and continuously blinked.  Later it just continously blinked.  It is not the same light as you get when you have a low battery.  I tried booting on only AC, only batt (tried 2 batts) and both, still get the blinking light. 

I would like to thank you for trudging through the above and for your help.

My laptop is an HP-G60-630US that is about 3 years old.

EDIT: Oh, it is also running Windows 7 and has Ubuntu studio installed, so grub should show up

Edited by ben545, 16 June 2013 - 01:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

Ben545,

If you have smelled anything like it might have been smoke you may be in for a major repair/replacement. My first guess would be that the power supply is going, going, and may be gone. If that's the only problem then repair may be cheaper than replacement. I'd be looking for a bench tech I could trust to evaluate the problem and estimate the cost before I made any final decisions.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 ben545

ben545
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

Just so we are both on the same page, the power supply is the brick that is on the power cord, not something in the laptop, correct?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users