Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Performing a System Restore from Cloned HDD Image

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kpdonahue85

kpdonahue85

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hello,

I am trying to restore an old laptop running Windows Vista which has a damaged HDD.  I have made an image of the drive using ddrescue, and the restore partition is intact.  The current drive is too damaged to perform a restore, though.  In order to solve another issue with sector sizes, I am trying to clone this image onto the free space of another laptop's HDD.

So far I know that I need to shrink the partitions on my functioning drive to make room for the image.  I have a couple questions that I can't seem to find the answers for about what to do next:

1.  Do I need to correct the MBR or partition tables or anything, since the new drive has other partitions on it already?

2.  Which utilities can do this for me most simply? (I am using a Linux boot cd)

3.  When cloning a disk image containing multiple partitions, can I copy it directly or do I need to mount the image as a loop device and then copy the individual partitions once mounted?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am not sure where to look online to solve these problems.

Thanks.

Edited by kpdonahue85, 16 June 2013 - 03:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users