Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Get Stop Message After Repair Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hhb1999

hhb1999

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 12:31 PM

changed my refresh rate to 85 hrz but none of my monitors were compatible to that rate. I didnt think to use safe mode cuz i couldnt get my monitor to respond at all. not even the boot screen would show up. so i tryd to do a repair using my windows xp pro install disk. It failed to load the driver.cab file during the file load part of the repair(similar to the upgrade- used the repair option instead of the upgrade or fresh install). the system did an auto reboot but when it got to loading windows i got the blue screen of death with a stop error that read as follows:
Stop: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x004d0004, 0xf78daa8c, 0xf78da78c)

I have a PX915P4 motherboard, with an Intel 2.8 socket 478 P4 800MHZ processor, 2 gigs of ram, a x800xt 256 pci express video card, maxtor 250 gig sata 150 hard drive, and a panasonic cdrw drive.

went to microsft and their knowledgebase said to do a clean boot, but i can only do that if i am on the desktop already and i cant get to the desk top. ne 1 have ne ideas that will save me from wiping the harddrive and starting over?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:32 PM

Do you have enough hard drive space?

Here's a MS page involving the main stop error.

This problem can be resolved by starting the computer with a boot disk that has a file manager, like UBCD, and deleting enough files to get it going again. Since it was running before, I wouldn't think that you'd have a device problem, but maybe you've got something hooked to the computer that requires special drivers. Are there any additional devices you added that you can remove temporarily until their drivers are installed?

If there are unsigned drivers from before you reinstalled, you can use the Recovery Console to move them to another folder.

#3 hhb1999

hhb1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:39 PM

i havent added ne new items but i can disconnect all the stuff except wat is necessary to run, ie nothing but mouse keyboard and video card. I have tryd the recovery console b4 but its abit over my head. I wouldnt know wat stuff to delete or move. i will try ur link. but not sure if it will help. i have another drive that i used to have in my pc b4 i put in the new mother board(been running on new board for since xmas) and was able to get into windows. would copying the windows folder from the old drive to the newer on(copying over the existing folder) help or are there registry entries that will be hosing me up?

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 02:40 PM

Excuse me but I have a question on something. You said you did a repair with your Win XP Pro disk. The question is do you or did you have Service Pack 2 installed prior to the repair? If the answer is Yes I would suggest doing a full recovery from scratch. With Service Pack 2 installed an original recovery disk should not work unless you force it to do the repair, it will trash your system.

Here are some informative pages that might help you.

Build an XP-SP2 Recovery Disc = http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1747010,00.asp
Unable to load service configuration object: curtainssyssvc.serviceconfiguration

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Step-By-Step: Reinstall Windows =
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid...6,tk,urx,00.asp

Download IsoBuster = http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

I hope this helps.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:04 PM

Copying the Windows folder isn't likely to help. I'm not sure Safe Mode would have worked, either, since you couldn't even see a boot screen.

Sorry about the Recovery Console thingie. It's daunting for people who haven't worked in DOS. What you would be moving is any drivers that are marked as unsigned, to a new folder you create to temporarily house them.

Having a UBCD would be nice because you could then save your data to a pen drive/thumb drive or somewhere and then reinstall from scratch, getting rid of all that's bad in the process. (Always good to stay backed up!) But even that requires that you know where your files are and how to copy them to another device.

Failing to load driver.cab means that your system cannot install drivers. (That's where they're kept so that they can be installed to match your equipment. They're usually stored on your hard drive.) You might try to do the repair install yet one more time, but you may have the same problems. Make sure the disk is clean and free of scratches. If you could get into the Repair Console, you could check to see if C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab folder already exists.

Doing a Repair Install usually means backing up your data and favorites/bookmarks and so on after you get it running and then doing a full install later anyway, because the Repair Install will not solve all your problems, and may even create some problems of its own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users