Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden Monitor Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

I currently have two Dell monitors connected to my pc, one 19" and the other 17". I normally leave my computer running all the time and turn my monitor displays off at night. Last night, the computer shut down after completing the newest Windows 7 automatic updates. I just powered my system back on and turned on the two monitors and I noticed the 17" dell monitor is still showing a black screen. I have gone in the device manager and the monitor no longer shows under the monitors tab. Is there anything I  can do to fix this? If the monitor is dead, is there anything interesting I could use it for or to build with it? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hi,

The more appropriate thing to do with dead entities is to bury them. I expect that there are still some parts that are functioning and if you know of a good repair shop they might be able to resurrect it. Be sure that the cost of repair is less than the cost of replacement.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

Hi SmokeViper07,

You can test the monitor and confirm if it is working properly. You will need to disconnect the data cable from the VGA/DVI port. The monitor displays four color bands. This confirms that the monitor is working properly. You will need to check the data cable or configure the video card settings if the color bands appear.

The monitor needs to be repairs if the screen remains black after disconnecting the data cable.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users