Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system restore

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 latins

latins

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

how do i disable system restore and then renable system restore in order to remove malware from restore points? :smash:  thank you!

Edited by latins, 16 June 2013 - 06:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

Microsoft Support

You can easily find the solution by going to Start \ Help and Support.  Type "system restore" in the search box and get lots of answers.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 latins

latins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

thank you very much TulsaRose! this helps alot! have a great day! :clapping:

Edited by latins, 16 June 2013 - 07:23 AM.

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

Click the "Start Button" in the lower left corner, then when the menu opens, click on "Control Panel", then when that opens, click on "Performance and Maintenance", and when that opens, click on "System Restore" in the upper left corner, and when that opens, click on "System Restore Settings" at the bottom of the writing on the left side, and when the settings window opens, put a checkmark in the box beside "Turn Off system Restore On All Drives" then click "Apply" and "OK" and that will shut it off on all Partitions.

Edited by JHMcG, 16 June 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#5 latins

latins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

thank you JHMcG!very quick reply and very informative! have a great day! :bounce:

#6 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

If you have a "Dual Boot" machine, you don't have to turn off "System Restore". Instead what you do is :

1) Click on "My Computer"

2) Click on "C" drive

3) Click on "Tools" up at the top of that window

4) Click on "View" at the top of the "Folder Options" window that opens when you click on "Tools"

5) - a.) Put a checkmark next to "Dispay the contents of System Folders"

- b.) Click on "Show Hidden Files and Folders"

- c.) Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"

6) Then click on the "Apply to ALL Folders" button up near the top.

Once that is done then you can use your "Reserve Boot" to open the "System Volume Information" folder on your "Main Boot" and go looking for any files inside them that you want to delete.

Done this way, you still get to keep your "Restore Points".

Edited by JHMcG, 16 June 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#7 latins

latins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

thank you JHMcG: that sounds a lot less scary,since i would like to keep my restore points!!! :clapping:

#8 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

I just tried that, and it is not letting me access the folder because it is set as being accessable only to "SYSTEM". but there is a way to reset it so that the "Administrator" can access it too.

Will work on that for you.

#9 latins

latins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

thanks JHMcG! much appreciated! :clapping:

#10 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

K, did it; and you don't need a "Dual Boot" to do this. What you do is follow my previous instructions re making "Hidden Files" visible, then Right Click on any "System Volume information" folder on your machine, and when the little window opens :

1) Click on "Properties" at the bottom of the window.

2). That will open a window titled "System Volume Information Properties".

3) In that window :

a.) Click on "Security"

b.) Then Click on the "Add" button

c.) Then in the window that opens, type in an exact copy of your "User Name" and Click the "OK" button 

4) Then in the "Security Window" which should now have your user name entered in the box up at the top

a.) Click on your "User Name"

b.) That will show a list of checkboxes wherein you want these ones "Checked"

1 Modify

2 Read & Execute

3 List Folder Contents

4 Read

5 Write

Once you have done that Click on "Apply" and "OK", and once that is done you will be able to access that "System Volume Information" folder, and delete any files in there that you want to. Though you will have to go through the whole set of steps in this post for each "System Volume Information Folder" in the various partitions on your machine. 

Finally. when you are done, you might want to "Uncheck" those 5 Checkboxes so you don't inadvertantly mess things up later.

Edited by JHMcG, 16 June 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#11 latins

latins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

thanks JHMcG for taking the time and effort to work out this problem for me.this is an incredible forum and you are the best!!! :clapping:

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

Disabling System Restore as the first step when attempting to clean a system or when scanning for malware is not advisable. Unfortunately, some anti-virus vendors still recommend doing this before attempting malware removal and many folks follow that advice. This is really not a good practice when dealing with infected computer systems. Turning System Restore off and then turning it back on has some risk associated with it since that feature does not always work as intended. Further, there is always a possibility of something going wrong during the malware removal process and you end up with more problems. If an incident renders your system problematic or unbootable, you can use System Restore to return it to a previous working state if restore points are available. Without a restore point to fall back on, you are left with a limited means of restoring your system to a usable condition. Disabling this feature could mean having to perform a repair install (or reformat in worst case scenarios) if you're unable to fix any problems which System Restore may be able to correct. Although System Restore is not always 100% guaranteed to work all the time, it at least gives you another option before resorting to more drastic measures.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

What I showed him how to do was access his "System Volume Information" files without having to turn off "System Restore" thereby saving his restore points while allowing him to access and delete any viruses within his "System Volume Information" files.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

My reply was in response to the OP's question in Post #1 and for others reading this topic.

how do i disable system restore and then renable system restore in order to remove malware from restore points?

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users