Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Virgin Media Homepage not displaying as normal!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 derekh110953

derekh110953

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:58 AM

Hi folks, not posted many times here but here goes.

Both my wife and I have a laptop each running on a wireless router. Everything has been fine until a few weeks ago when my wife's laptop suddenly decided it would not display VM's homepage as normal.

What she gets is a page full of VM's advertising for all it's services! There is no news, weather. movies, trailers and all the other usual stuff is missing. My laptop is unaffected. Should say that my laptop runs on Vista and the wife's is an XP sp3 machine with both fully updated for Windows. I'm using the Chrome browser and she prefers IE, although she has Chrome installed this still shows the same problem. If we change her homepage to MSN/uk this doesn't exhibit the same issue as Virgins page does. 

Have tried all I can think of to resolve this but nothing has helped, still getting the same problem. Have scanned for viruses and malware using various scanners/software to no avail. Have run HJT but can't see anything unusual there. Suspect that it maybe remnants of a virus or even a firewall issue. One thing that does come to mind is that I once installed Prevx 2.0 on her machine and then uninstalled it a long time ago, however Windows security Centre is complaining it is turned off, have tried removing left overs for Prevx but have had no joy no matter what I tried The web address is shown as http://www.virginmedia.com/ , which is the same shown on my vista machine apart from mine doesn't show the http bit.

This problem is not related to our wireless router as we spent over 2 weeks at mother in laws down in Devon using her slow BT connection a few weeks ago and had identical issues there.

Anyone out there who can suggest something I haven't already tried or thought of, have Googled this but nothing matches the exact problem the wife has. Getting to the point where the only thing I can think of is a fresh install........will be a nightmare as she has lots of GAMES installed and will want it all back just how it was before........want to avoid that if at all possible as it will me sorting it for her.

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2013 - 07:15 AM.
Fixed link - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

I changed your posted link, was slightly different from what I get as VM webpage.

In IE, the simple answer is to go to the VM webpage...then go to Tools/Internet Options/General tab...and click Use Current button to reset as homepage.

If you've already done this...pardon :).

Louis

#3 derekh110953

derekh110953
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hi Louis,

That was the first thing I tried! Then started to dig a lot deeper but seems that no matter what I try things stay the exactly the same.

It looks very much like the top 10% of VM homepage and the bottom 10% of the same are all that is displayed with all the other content missing. I'm normally able to sort out most problems with Windows but can't make any headway with this one, struggling to get my head around what might cause this. 

Thinking about this again just remembered I had installed Privatefirewall Free on wife's machine and this started acting up recently so I decided to install Comodo CIS which I have tried and seemed to work well on other machines. Am fairly sure the issue started once I had Comodo installed. Made no difference though uninstalling it either.

Derek

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

I would set Google as homepage.

See how it displays.

Then set some other website as homepage, see how it display.

Then back to Virgin as homepage.

If problem occurs solely with VM...I'd have to say it's corrupt cookies or your browser cache needs to be dumped/cleared.  Or maybe both :).

Louis

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

Maybe the browser security settings are too high.

#6 derekh110953

derekh110953
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Ok,

For Frankp316:

Think I tried this one also originally but have just lowered the security setting for IE down to Medium and it has made no difference.

For Louis: 

Sure I also tried clearing the internet cache and cookies but have just done it again to be sure and end result is the same. Haven't tried resetting page to Google although all other websites seem to display just as they should.

#7 derekh110953

derekh110953
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

Ok I got the homepage back and it displays as it should but can't exactly recall how I did it!!

Have noticed though that the web address that now works is http://www.virginmedia.com//

That is different to what was there before this all started and different to the web address that works on my vista lappy which is www.virginmedia.com/

Any ideas or should I just settle for having it back working.

Have noticed that the laptop in question does seem to be running slower than I think it should, although it is about 7 years old now! Wondered if I should ask for help with malware/virus? 

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

I never pay attention to web addresses...as long as I connect to where I want to connect, I"m happy :).

I would settle :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users