Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Please - Hit by a something when downloading a free media program

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gabstercol

gabstercol

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Hi there,

I know your group of experts are the best of the best. Please assist me in removing an infection and getting my computer workable again. 

After spending time at youtube one night watching some tornado videos of Oklahoma, the next day I could not get my mp4's to open or play from any of my installed media players. They all seemed to be missing something. I went to try to update the media player that always worked in playing all types of media files. That program is VLC Video Lan. While trying to get to the most recent program someone else recommended GOM. I went to checkout GOM and suddenly found myself downloading a zip extractor program instead. That made me so frustrated since I'm always so careful about what actually downloads from the download button at these free sites. I was at the site of file hippo.

As soon as the computer rebooted and I immediately uninstalled the zip extractor program. After that uninstall I couldn't get any executables to work. I tried to open a word doc and it wouldn't open. I tried to click on the e for internet explorer and it looked like it tried to open the page and then immediately retracted the page so it sort of flashed the new window and closed it right away no matter what I tried to open.

I tried to go into safe mode and the computer would not go into safe mode. I was able to hit the delete key and enter the bios but it would not allow me to make any change to any screen of the bios. Needless to say I had not backed up the data for about a month due to be too busy to do that and what a tough lesson it was. UGH!

The next day I was able to get the computer running in safe mode and was able to copy to flash drives much of the important data and move it to my rescue computer in the meantime. I did manage to run a hijack this log and a dds log. What it showed in the hijack this log that was never there before, and I know what my hijack this log looks like since I check it quite often, it had two entries in there that I did not recognize called nltide2 and nltide3. After looking those up in google it appears to be a back door trojan. Nonetheless, I need to be able to remove it now and get the computer up and running normally again. I have been using my rescue computer for a couple of days but it is having blue screen issues caused by ATI2dvag  apparently from what I can see on the blue screen.  But it is working enough so that I can get online and do a few things.

Please advise me if you can assist with the fix for this computer. I work on it all day everyday and I am definitely set back from this attack.

Thank you.

Gabstercol.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users