Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New video card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PrevailGFX

PrevailGFX

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

I'm using a Dell XPS 8500 currently

Specs of the PC
CPU
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor (up to 3.90 GHz)
GPU
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640 1GB DDR3
Power
460W
Mobo
Intel® “Panther Point” H77

I was suggested to use a; Radeon HD 7790

But my budget has rasied now... I was wondering what a good, decent card I could get that will make a noticeable difference from the GT 640... Budget is preferably $200 and less.
Thanks in advance. Also, PSU is not a problem, as I have a spare 600W corsair.

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2013 - 12:57 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

hello,

there are better graphics cards for that kind of budget. but the BC experts apparently are a little overwhelmed with the whole graphics card domain right now.

Anyway, you can google for the best card for the money.  I am a Radeon man myself.

Radeon Nomenclature works like this:

HD A B C D

A  = generation of card   7 being the highest at the moment

B  =  Iteration and development level of that generation of card , 9 being the highest developmemt level

C =  Performance (again...9 being the highest)

D = 0

So, a 5970 is  THE 300 watt-sucking  performer beast from the fifth generation

A 7990 is top of the mark, but at the same time, a 7970 would suffice most of the time if it means trimming $100  USD from the budget.

i am currently running an HD 5550 1gb ddr2  on my home rig

it is extremely quiet and cool and draws a measly amount of wattage out of the PSU and needs no extra hookup other than the PCI and can run an occasional game with settings tweaked and watered down.

Please be aware, Gamers are very opinionated when they write about their preferences in the message boards but what really matters to a gamer is "frames per second     better known as FPS"   and it can be calcualated in the ball park from what they call    "memory bandwidth"              check out the FPS benchmarking for different games. it is all out there for you to discover.  i like bjorn3d myself

just a suggestion  ; I am currenty being seduced by the 7870 for my next gaming build i am working on for another person. check out that darling of a card!

Hope this helps

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

The 7790 would be a noticeable upgrade from the GT640 but for your budget, you could get a HIS 7870 GHZ Edition.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 PrevailGFX

PrevailGFX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

The 7790 would be a noticeable upgrade from the GT640 but for your budget, you could get a HIS 7870 GHZ Edition.

I was debating on that, or the 660. I decided to go with the 660, it should be here wednesday... Just have to put in new PSU and card... Hopefully the card fits, if not... I'll cut that case up until it does.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

Yes, after reading the newegg reviews for the HIS 7870, it looks like you would need a yuca mountain size case  to fit that  beast in there, and the HIS 7870  ports weren't as impressive as the 660. looks like comparable performance also.

Now, let the Furmark fly!

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users