Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This copy of windows is not geniune.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

Hello, I am a semi-long member her, though I don't post often. Ok, so here is what happened. Over last summer my former History teacher got a virus on his computer, it was a ransomware one. So, he restored his laptop back to the oem image via the repair option in windows. Well, everything seemed to be going fine until a week ago (well, before finals so maybe two weeks) he told me that his computer had been acting weird, but his daughter had gotten a new one and she gave him her old one. long story short, I ended up with his laptop, it's a Fujitsu t900 tablet PC. Well, when I booted it up it seemed fine, started to the desktop, default crapware...err.."bonus software" installed, default wallpaper and all. So, I was thinking "sweet! I got this $1500 laptop for free!" Well, I turn it on after storing it in storage for a month plus, the thing started up and said "configuring windows updates do not shut down your computer", so it did that and restarted and now I have the black screen with the watermark saying my copy is not geniune.

Attached File  IMG_1668.JPG   146.96KB   8 downloads

(I hooked the laptop up to an external monitor) The oem sticker is worn off. 

Attached File  IMG_1669.JPG   182.65KB   9 downloads

(Sorry for it being fuzzy, but basically you cannot read it.)

My question is. 1.) My teacher is not tech savy enough to use loaders or cracks so that doesn't explain this, and I don't think fujitsu oem keys fetch a profit on the black market XD So, why would restoring a computer to factory settings screw up it's validity? Also, currently   I do not have the funds to purchase a windows 7 or 8 license.

2.) How should I proceed about this?

Edited by Zestypanda, 15 June 2013 - 07:40 PM.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hi,

I've done this to my own computer and if you can get to it there is a menu where you can call MS toll free and give them the code that they will ask you to generate. If it is a valid copy they will give you a return code which will unlock your copy of windows.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Download the pdf Recovery Manual for Windows 7 and read the bottom of Page 3 and the top of Page 4 for Recovery details, and to see if these are installed on this unit -

Read > > Using the Recovery and Utility Tools
The Recovery and Utility tools consist of a variety of tools that will help you recover your Factory Image, recover system images, and delete the data from your hard disk.

Also what program did you use to remove Preinstalled software ??

Edited to correct link -

Edited by noknojon, 15 June 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#4 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Well, one question regarding this. If it does turn out to have something fishy with it. Will I get in trouble with Microsoft or something? Or will they just say I have to buy a new copy?

#5 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Also noknojon, your link is (now fixed :D ) not broken. :)

Edited by Zestypanda, 15 June 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#6 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

Ok, looking in explorer it seems as if the recovery partition is gone...I will see if its hidden and shows up in the boot menu (F12)
When I hit F12 I can get to what seems like a Fujitsu branded recovery menu. I will see if that holds the key. (So to speak)

Edited by Zestypanda, 15 June 2013 - 09:13 PM.

#7 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

Ok, so I got into the menu and selected the recovery option, then started the recovery program and selected recover C: Drive.

Attached File  IMG_1671.JPG   136.02KB   4 downloads

Strangely trying to get it to recover from a system image using the default recovery manager gives this message.  

This is what it's currently doing. It's now finished restoring it and it says it needs to restart, I will tell you what happens next.  

#8 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

Hey! I did the restore, and so far it seems to be fine. I will let the configuration manager finish and restart it a few more times. Then update it with windows update, so far it seems to be fixed. 

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

See if you can get Safe Mode also, and tell us what options if you do get there -

#10 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

Ok, one thing though. It failed to go into sleepmode all the way. I closed the lid and windows went to sleep, and the fans then went full speed because they weren't software controlled anymore and the default is 100%, but then the fans didn't wind down like they are supposed to and shut off. I had to take out the batter because holding the power button down wouldn't shut it down. 

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

When you're all done try this.

Validation is an online process that verifies that your copy of Windows is genuine and that critical Windows licensing files have not been damaged, deleted, or removed. It takes only a few moments and lets Microsoft create a match between your PC's hardware profile and your 25-character product key, which is usually located on the Certificate of Authenticity. This match is anonymously archived so it can be checked against future activation and validation attempts and helps make sure that the Windows product key installed on your PC matches the original Windows product key that was purchased.

..Once validation is complete, you'll see a webpage explaining the results....if Windows on your PC is validated as genuine, then you'll see a success page confirming that Windows is genuine. However, if Windows on your PC fails genuine validation, then the webpage that appears will give you information on the issue that caused the validation failure, including likely scenarios for why validation failure might have occurred and customized recommendations for resolution.

Validation for Windows 7
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:42 PM

Ok, it did it again. I closed the lid, it went to sleep and then I waited. Then I opened it and it woke up then I simulated the "crap didn't mean to close it" moment and closed it, during the sleep I opened it immediately and it is now frozen in sleep mode/fans 100% but windows is in lala land. 

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

Disable Sleep Mode, as this causes more problems than it is worth.

Just Turn Off when finished -

#14 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:13 AM

Yay! It worked. :D It passed validation. Thanks guys. ^_^ Now I have an awesome windows tablet with legit windows...now to fix the smashed screen....yeah forgot to tell ya that he dropped some textbooks on it XD Hence the external monitor..he dropped the books on it after he restored it and....yeah long story. Though, as for the software, you fixed it guys :D 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users