Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can bandwidth issues keep you from accessing your router's setup page?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

So recently every now and again my connection will start to really fail. It'll be fine, then some time around nighttime, or maybe early in the morning, or maybe some random time, it'll start to really fail. Pages take forever to load, if they don't just eventually give up, Google Chrome gives me "connection timed out" and "refused connection" page load messages, you know the drill. 

Now not being able to load online pages, that's one thing. But when I type in the address for my router, which my computer is directly connected to, that also lags. I don't remember if it's ever outright not loaded, but shouldn't I at least be able to access the router? 

What could be happening to my connection if I can't access my router? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

That your router is going bad, your wire to router is somehow faulty, or you have some program or settings that may be causing issues.

In my experience if the router is a couple years old it's usually the router. Or if it has recently gotten much warmer and you can touch the router and it is hot, the router may be overheating.

If it is the wire usually you can tell ... like there are animal bite marks or it is frayed and cut in certain parts.

To tell if it is settings usually you will have to get another computer and connect it the same way and if the other computer works fine but yours does not then it's something in the computer.

#3 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

Well it's also affecting the wi-fi, it's not just this computer it's every computer in range. 

Could the router be going bad? 

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

For what it's worth when my internet goes down the router setup will not load. Depending on the browser the message I get is basically page not available.

#5 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:39 AM

Another thing that happens, when my connection starts acting up and I unplug/replug the ethernet cable from the back of my computer, the connection gets better, for a time. But I think I might just be imagining that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users