Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Satellitte To Computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 purple frog

purple frog

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 11:14 AM

i recently purchased a sattelitte receiver with DVR and was wondering if there was a way to connect that to my computer? the receiver box does have USB ports but i am asking morw knowledgeable people before i connected the two. thanks for any input

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 02:16 PM

If you want to move video yo your computer you will need a video capture card. Connect the cable to the computer just like the TV. If that DVR is like the ones with cable the USB will be for Wifi card. Did come with a manual? What is the Make and model number?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:08 PM

If you get yourself a TV Tuner card or any kind of usb capture device to record from older video cameras you will be able to. I connect my cable box to my computer with an s-video connections and a RCA-to-1/8" cable to connect to my capture card.

My capture card is a MSI TV@nywhere

#4 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

its a samsung DVR, for use with directv, not sure if this is the model number, but it says sir-s4080r on the front where it has the brand name.

on edit, thanks for the info.

Edited by purple frog, 15 April 2006 - 04:12 PM.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:33 PM

As long as you have jacks (RCA, S-Video, Componant) you most likely have video capture or the abilty to download a program for that purpose.

Posted Image

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:55 PM

After going to the samsung site it says 2 USB Expansion Ports for Future Home Entertainment Use (Currently Inactive)

I read some sites and they were talking about tivo... and about wireless and wired network cards...

#7 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:16 PM

this DVR actually has the TIVO logo on it, is there any way to test the usb ports and see if they are active?

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:39 PM

Try calling DirectTV and just ask them. I am sure that they are the ones that can help you the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users