Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer not installed properly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ElectricWizard

ElectricWizard

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

The other day I was installing updates and they were going really slow, so I just left them overnight. I was watching shows on my computer later, and was switching to the next show but nothing would open. I tried to restart, but Windows Explorer crashed and did not restart, so I was left without everything except my browser window. I tried opening the task manager and restarting that way, but that did nothing. Finally, I just hit the power button and restarted it. Then it froze on the motherboard splash screen. My motherboard is an ASRock FM2A75 Pro4. I turned it off using the power button, and noticed the handy "Clear CMOS" button at the back was lit, so I pressed it. ASRock built in a Dr Debug LCD into their motherboard, so I can see it through the side panel. I got error code 64 when it started, which is a "chipset initialization error". I am not 100% sure what that means, but clearing the CMOS fixes it. The problem is, next time it restarts, it will do the same thing, over and over. 

The next problem (I am not sure if it's related to the motherboard thing) is that when I try and uninstall a program, I get an error saying Windows Installer is not installed correctly. I was trying to uninstall BOINC because it keeps freezing and giving me C+ termination errors, so I thought I'd reinstall it. I also cannot complete the updates that I had abruptly stopped in the beginning. The installer would just hang at 10% for hours. 

I looked up a few solutions to this, and most of them said to do a repair install of Windows. After not being able to locate the install disk I created, I painstakingly tracked down a copy of Windows 7 Professional, found my product key, and popped the disc in. An error pops up "D:\Sources\SPWIZENG.DLL is either not designed to run on Windows or contains an error", immediately followed by "The file autorun.dll could not be loaded or is corrupt" and then error code 0xC1. I have tried downloading Windows from a couple sources, making sure it's the right version. All of them do that. The thing is, I can boot from the disc no problem, but cannot do a repair install if I boot from it, since it doesn't allow it. 

So, my theory is that the Windows Installer thing was caused by abruptly ending those updates I was installing. But the motherboard thing I have no idea whatsoever. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. 

AMD A10 5800K
ASRock FM2A75 Pro4 ATX FM2
Sapphire Radeon 7750
Mushkin Blackline 16GB
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Corsair 500W ATX12V
Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

Try the the solution provided below for the Windows Installer problem.

What does this mean "windows installer is not correctly - Microsoft Community

Edited by dc3, 16 June 2013 - 08:07 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ElectricWizard

ElectricWizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

The instruction "In the Run box type net start MSIServer and hit ok" seems to have worked. I have no idea what that does, and whether it fixed the problem permanently, but we'll see. I have to restart now so let's see if my computer is going to do the motherboard thing.

Edited by ElectricWizard, 16 June 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#4 ElectricWizard

ElectricWizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

It didn't do the motherboard thing, but I still cannot install anything and the updates hang again. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users