Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo HP or Sony?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

It looks like my HP laptop is dying, but I've had it for five years so I guess I can't complain. The question is with what to replace it?

I've been pleased with HP so maybe this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834256312&Tpk=HP%20dv6-7220us&IsVirtualParent=1

Lenovo is recommended so maybe this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925417-REG/lenovo_59361311_z500_intel_i5_3230m_6gb_ddr3_1tb_hd_windows.html

Sony is always good so maybe this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834127935

Thoughts and advice?

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aQuilla

aQuilla

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

Three laptops are almost identical specs wise. HP will fall short when it comes to HDD but it is the cheapest so it could be reasonable. Design wise, I would go for Sony but if we are talking about durability, Lenovo would be my choice. Portability, Lenovo would also have the edge because it is a pound less than the two other laptops. Overall, you can't go wrong with these laptops but my choice would be Lenovo and it's a really close call.

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

Is there anything these three are missing that I should be looking for?

#4 aQuilla

aQuilla

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

Well these laptops have Intel HD Graphics 4000 which is not at the high-end when it comes to GPU. However I don't know what kind of user are you so I can't really say anything. Intel HD 4000 could handle the basic computer applications and some games but it is not advisable for heavy 3D gaming. If you're not a heavy gamer then you won't have any problem at all.

#5 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

Thanks, I play Solitaire but that's it for games!

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

My HP has lasted a while longer so I have not bought a new computer yet. The other day I went to a computer store to look over the options I was advised to consider a Sony Vaio Fit 14 SVF14217CXB. The salesclerk said he preferred Sony over HP and others because of Sony's technical support.

It is a bit more expensive than I thought I'd have to pay, although if worth it I'll pay that amount.

Your thoughts? Can I get a laptop just as good for a lower price? (The Sony was priced at $830. I had hoped to get just as good a computer for $600-700.)

Thank you.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

For what is is worth towards peace of mind, Both Lenovo and Toshiba and Dell are good for warranty work.

Since You don't game you can save money that way.

Is that clerk knowledgeable?

What I would do is go to one or more of the Major Online Sellers of laptops, For example, Newegg, TigerDirect, Amazon and read the User reviews of any models You are looking at.

I notice that this laptop has a touch screen. I use Windows 8 without a touch screen. In fact I gave away a new laptop I had bought that had a touch screen, A touch screen may be fine on a tablet or a phone, On a laptop, Not so good.

What I did before I gave it to Fran was Install "Classic Shell", This All-in-One I'm using, The first thing I did was Install "Classic Shell"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

With this in mind, a free program called Classic Shell has been updated to support the ability to add a Start Menu to Windows 8.

At this point Windows 8 Now operates like Windows 7 with the extras from Windows 8.

So You do not really need a touchscreen and could save that money.

FWIW I have used Lenovo, Toshiba, Acer, and ASUS.

They were and are All OK.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 22 September 2013 - 05:55 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users