Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Integrated camera not detected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KMA_68

KMA_68

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FE21M running Windows XP.  In the last couple of weeks I noticed the integrated camera was not working when using skype - it said no camera was detected.  I have since tried other applications (e.g. windows movie maker etc) and all same the same thing - no camera detected.  As far as I know I had made no changes to the notebook although there may have been some automatic windows updates.

I've checked the device manager and there is no 'imaging' listed and there doesn't seem to be any other camera device under the other tabs (USB etc).  I have done several restarts to no avail and have also tried to do a system restore but unfortunately this wouldn't work for me.  I still have the original drivers on my C drive including a 'camera folder' but am unsure how to go about reinstalling these or even if it would fix the problem (sorry I'm getting beyond my knowledge at this point...).

Can anyone make any suggestions?  Is this likely to be more of a hardware problem?  Any help would be gratefully appreciated - especially if posted in nice simple easy to follow steps!!

Thanks very much,

Karen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

Go back into device manager and select View at the top of the screen. Click on Show hidden devices. If your Web camera appears under hidden devices right click on it and uninstall the camera. Reboot the computer and see if the camera re installs automatically. Let me know what you find.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 KMA_68

KMA_68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:43 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I've just tried your suggestion and there's still no camera listed in the device manager.

Karen

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

If you still have the original driver folder, see if there is a setup program you can run. I tried looking up the support page at esupport.sony.com and it said the model number was incorrect. It asked if it was a VGN-FE21H or VGN-FE21S

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 KMA_68

KMA_68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hi,

The model is VGN-FE21M (I'm in the UK).  I still have the original driver folder but there doesn't seem to be a setup program in there.  There is a setup information text file.

Thanks again for helping out.

Karen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users