Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checking file system C: The type of file system is NTFS.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 babyturtle

babyturtle

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. One of your disk needs to be checked for consistency. You can cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue. To skip disk checking, press any key within(10)seconds.

It then says the disck can not be checked due to recently installed software. The thing is I haven't installed anything in 3 months.

I manage to get on to the computer and it is extremely slow, I managed to get it working fast enough to get my university work off of it but it has gone back to being very slow, often freezing. 

I have tried starting it in safe mode and and a list of disks come up and it never gets past this point.

I just started it up and it managed to let me into system repair. It is now attempting repairs. Does any one know how long this will take and whether or not it works? 

I think I may need to take it in to a repair store.

Would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hi

From the symptoms you described, i suspect a failing hard drive. Can you please post the exact model number of your PC or laptop ?. In case of an assembled PC, post the full specs. 

#3 babyturtle

babyturtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Sony Vaio C Series.

Model: PCG-716132

Product Name: VPCC83FG

:)

#4 babyturtle

babyturtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

I completed the startup repair last night. The computer is still slow but I can now get in to safe mode.

#5 babyturtle

babyturtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Also, in safe mode we checked the driver health status and it says it is healthy.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

Hi

To properly test the health of a hard disk, you should use manufacturers diagnostic tools. For example, Western digital provides Data Lifeguard diagnostics and Seagate provides Seatools. These tools will check the entire hard disk surface for bad sectors and execute other tests like head seek tests etc to make sure the HDD is in good condition. Can you post the the brand of your hard disk ?.

You can find the model name in device manager. Open device manager and expand the Disk Drives category. Report the model number in next reply. Also follow the below step to collect some event log info from your system.

Please download MiniToolBox, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/ Save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:

•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files
.List Devices
Click Go and copy / paste the result (Result.txt).

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 15 June 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#7 babyturtle

babyturtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hi there my computer is too slow to open the internet. 

I think I will have to take it in.

Thank you.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:08 AM

Hi

You can access internet by entering Safe mode with networking from the advanced startup menu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users