Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching back and forth between operating systems?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WellsofSilence

WellsofSilence

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

Hallo.

So, I currently am using Windows XP, and I wanted to try out Ubuntu. However, I'm not sure that I'm going to stick with Ubuntu, so I wanted a way to switch back to XP if I needed to. I don't have the installation disk (though I do have the product key), so I was wondering, Is there any way to burn XP onto a disk or flash drive or something of the sort so that I can switch back if I wanted to?

Thanks for the help,

WellsofSilence

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Clone XP to another drive...install your secnd O/S on a different drive...those are the options that come easily to my mind.

Louis

#3 aQuilla

aQuilla

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

Hallo.

So, I currently am using Windows XP, and I wanted to try out Ubuntu. However, I'm not sure that I'm going to stick with Ubuntu, so I wanted a way to switch back to XP if I needed to. I don't have the installation disk (though I do have the product key), so I was wondering, Is there any way to burn XP onto a disk or flash drive or something of the sort so that I can switch back if I wanted to?

Thanks for the help,

WellsofSilence

Well you can do dual-boot. Install Ubuntu on a seperate partition from your XP partition. Usually your XP will be at C drive so you can install Ubuntu on D drive. Once you've done the installation properly, every start up, you will be asked to what OS will you boot from. 

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

There are ways to get around that issue. i.e. "C" drive. My machine has three boot partitions. "C" drive lives in a "Hot Swap Tray", and if for any reason it becomes unuseable, I can replace it with a duplicate "C" drive that is also in a "Hot Swap Tray" that I keep sitting in reserve on a shelf. Further I also have a boot partition on "D" drive on one of my internal HDDs. That one was a lot of work to setup though, cause what I did was clone my "C" drive onto that partition, then with my "Hot Swap Tray" "C" drive installed, go into the bios and set that internal HDD as my boot partition, then boot from it, then use the Windows registry editor, to go through the entire registry, changing "C:\" to "D:\" and "C?\" to "D?\" one at a time, (about 16000 of them.) But setup that way, I can go into the bios and choose which HDD to boot from, - to boot from, - either "C" or "D".

Done that way, the machine will always boot from whichever HDD is set in the bios as being the "Primary Drive" without asking which partition you want to boot from.

NOTE : When you are editing the registry on "D" drive, to change the occurances of "C:\" to "D:\" the "C" drive must be available or else the machine will not boot from "D". But once you have finished the changes, the machine will boot from "D" even if the "C" drive is shut down, or removed from the machine.

I also have "Norton Ghost Images" of all three boot partitions, so in the event that one of them becomes unuseable, I can use one of the other boot partitions to restore the unuseable one from its "Ghost Image".

Edited by JHMcG, 15 June 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

Hi

If you just want to try Ubuntu, you can run it as a live CD without installing it to the hard disk. Messing up your Windows installation to just try Linux is a very bad idea.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users